Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times

Advertisements

Variation of my East Prussian Grandmothers recipe;

Ours are made with beef/pork/veal. cooked rice added to the meat mixture, paprika, caraway seeds, a beaten egg, either chopped parsley or cilantro. S/P and a pinch of garlic powder,

peel of the leaves of cabbage, placed them in water at a slow boil for a few minutes to soften them for an easy roll up.
chop up some of the leftover cabbage, throw that in the water and let that get soft too.
(We add some sliced onion too.)

Drain leaves and chopped cabbage.

place meat mixture in cabbage leaves,
roll 'dem bad boys up...secure them with toothpicks.

place chopped cabbage on bottom of cooking pot, add a bay leaf or two..a small pour of vinegar, lay your rolls on the cabbage, pour a 14.5 can of tomato sauce on top of rolls, add enough water to cover the rolls, add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer...cook until meat is done...

The chopped cabbage bed on the bottom helps to keep the cabbage rolls intact and is very tasty.
Serve with Sour cream, Chopped dill, and Polish Rye bread/butter...maybe some parslied or mashed potatoes.

Yumo.

PS : my wife loves this recipe with ground or minced chicken.
She minces the chicken, both white and dark meat in a food processor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
The method shown in this clip for filling the cabbage leaves is ideal - no need for foreign objects in the food and the rolls stay secure. You can jump to 3:50 to see the method:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0vlP9-dwC0

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The method shown in this clip for filling the cabbage leaves is ideal - no need for foreign objects in the food and the rolls stay secure. You can jump to 3:50 to see the method:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0vlP9-dwC0
Dobry for that video..wow, she makes it look so easy, the last step in so cool.

It doesn't hurt to have a pre-cooked, softened kapusta leaf like she has in that bowl either.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Dobry for that video..wow, she makes it look so easy, the last step in so cool.

It doesn't hurt to have a pre-cooked, softened kapusta leaf like she has in that bowl either.
Isn't that a given? When I learned this dish from my parents, they would boil the head of cabbage first, and then slice away the raised ridge on the 'spine' of each leaf to make the rolling possible (made the leaf pliable).

They told me that back in the old country, market vendors had pickled heads of cabbage and that is the 'real deal.' When I lived abroad, the markets had vendors who had enormous barrels of pickled cabbage heads, sauerkraut, and others (like cherry peppers) and they would bag to order the quantity you would need for that week. I miss those markets.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
You may laugh, but I read how to soften the cabbage leaves in the microwave that works great.

I place the entire head in the mike for about a minute. Then you can easily peal over a couple of layers of the outer leaves and begin stuffing them.
Then keep repeating this until you have used the entire head of cabbage, or as much as you need.

Placing the leaves in boiling water does the job, I just found it easier to peel off the leaves without cracking them by doing it this way.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
When I visited the last Shaker Eldresses in Canterbury NH...they pointed out that they were different from the Amish in that they welcomed modern technology. She said the old-time shaker ladies would have loved the microwave....as much as she did. Their motto was "hands to work and hearts to God". Anything that lightened the workload freed up energy for prayer and for God. So Eldress Gertrude would have liked your tip on preparing cabbage leaves for stuffing.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
You may laugh, but I read how to soften the cabbage leaves in the microwave that works great.

I place the entire head in the mike for about a minute. Then you can easily peal over a couple of layers of the outer leaves and begin stuffing them.
Then keep repeating this until you have used the entire head of cabbage, or as much as you need.

Placing the leaves in boiling water does the job, I just found it easier to peel off the leaves without cracking them by doing it this way.
Thank you SO much for this wonderful tip...I used to score the core of the cabbage with a knife, slow boil, then peel the leaves off..Old School way.

Wondering if a wet paper towel/dish towel over the cabbage would help in the microwave process?
Again, Dziekujeci

Last edited by mr.magoo; 03-20-2018 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Isn't that a given? When I learned this dish from my parents, they would boil the head of cabbage first, and then slice away the raised ridge on the 'spine' of each leaf to make the rolling possible (made the leaf pliable).

They told me that back in the old country, market vendors had pickled heads of cabbage and that is the 'real deal.' When I lived abroad, the markets had vendors who had enormous barrels of pickled cabbage heads, sauerkraut, and others (like cherry peppers) and they would bag to order the quantity you would need for that week. I miss those markets.
Did not know about the pickled cabbage heads..fascinating..Lucky you to have witnessed those markets..
I would love to see those markets

my brother and I hitchhiked our way up and down Western Europe/North Africa as teens, alas, Eastern Europe was still off limits in the 70's - 80'

I learned to do the boil method from my Parents/ Grandparents too..my Babci even found use for the core...nothing went to waste..

Even the potato peelings went into Home brew Vodka.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 03-20-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 05:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
This is the recipe we use (roughly, I add some dried herbs). I like the apples:

https://www.marthastewart.com/315672/stuffed-cabbage

Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
I am getting lots of good ideas with these recipes, thanks to all.

Another thing I do that is great for us low-carbers out there, is to substitute riced cauliflower for rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes