Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times

Advertisements

I have a big bag of dried Great Northern beans. I've never cooked them before and am looking for a really good recipe to make tonight.

Does anyone have any great recipes to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,592,135 times
You could make the Olive Garden recipe of Pasta e Fagioli soup....just substitute your great northern beans for the whte kidney beans. Not sure how long you have to soak dry beans to get them to the proper consistency for this recipe. I've cut this recipe down and adapted to my personal preference and the ounces that any particular canned product is available in. Further, I don't add the pasta unless I'm service the whole pot at once....otherwise, the pasta absorbs all the liquid from the soup over time. If you make this soup and intend to freeze some, cook the pasta separate and then add upon serving.

Also I buy a frozen mirepoix (chopped onions, carrots and celery). It makes this recipe so much easier to put together when fresh veges aren't available.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
White chicken chili .

Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
White chicken chili .
Thanks. I'm going to make these another day. I didn't have some of the ingredients.

It's breakfast for dinner tonight!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Another way to use your beans is simple. Pick through the beans to make sure there are no small rocks in them, then soak them in a pot of water over night. The next day, pour off the water and cover the beans with fresh water, put the pot on the stove over medium heat, turn the heat down after the water starts to boil and put a meaty ham hock in the pot with the beans. Chop a medium onion and put it in the pot along with some garlic and salt and pepper, allow the pot to boil for at least an hour, checking and adding water if necessary. Cook the beans until they are tender. When you are finished cooking the beans allow them to cool a bit and then add a few to a small bowl with some ketchup and sample them. They can be refrigerated, then reheated and used for a side dish with other food for several days

Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Bean soup! Soak 2 cups as directed above to soften and change the water, refilling the soup pot until the water just covers the beans. Add 1/2 c chopped onion, 2 ribs chopped celery, 1 chopped carrot and a couple of handfuls of bacon bits or chopped ham. Salt & pepper to taste. Bring it all to a boil, lower heat and simmer very slowly for an hour or two, plying the potato masher at the end to thicken it up. Bouillon cubes in the water are optional.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:30 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Tuscan white bean soup
White bean dip
minestrone soup
Escarole and white bean soup

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Tuscan white bean soup
White bean dip
minestrone soup
Escarole and white bean soup
Thanks. I'm making the escarole and white bean soup. Today's rainy and cold, so it's the perfect weather for soup. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Bean soup! Soak 2 cups as directed above to soften and change the water, refilling the soup pot until the water just covers the beans. Add 1/2 c chopped onion, 2 ribs chopped celery, 1 chopped carrot and a couple of handfuls of bacon bits or chopped ham. Salt & pepper to taste. Bring it all to a boil, lower heat and simmer very slowly for an hour or two, plying the potato masher at the end to thicken it up. Bouillon cubes in the water are optional.
Thanks for the recipe. Sounds yummy. I'll try that one soon, too.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Thanks. I'm making the escarole and white bean soup. Today's rainy and cold, so it's the perfect weather for soup. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Be sure to add extra garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes