U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times

Advertisements

Yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
It looks wonderful! That's going to need a try!
I did make the Tea Bread today and it was teriffic! Couple of changes in adapting to ingredients on hand: Raisins remaining in the pantry were well past their Best If Used By date, so I went with zante currants as well as black currant tea. Also no light brown sugar, so went with dark brown. Wonderful crispy crust and soft moist crumb. Great warm with butter. Rich, deep, almost cinnamony flavor. Easy to make and a great find for the season!

Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,542,647 times
Wow, Fairlaker! I'm so happy to hear that! I've made it twice more since that pic I took. I'm feeling like making it again today except adding cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom to make it like a real spice loaf! I've been enjoying it for breakfast with a nice cup of hot tea...

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 AM

57 posts, read 87,304 times
If you like dried fruit or fruitcake, you will just love this loaf. The tea soaked fruit yields so much moisture, there really is no need for oil or butter. I made a single loaf and found that I did not have a sufficient supply of raisins. With the posting chef's permission, I supplemented the amount with diced dried apricots and cherries -proving the recipe has versatility. It really is quite rich tasting so small tender slices work well.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM

36,940 posts, read 45,385,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Tea Bread

Soak 3/4 cup of raisins in 1 cup of cold black tea overnight. The following day, add 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 cup soft brown sugar and 1 well-beaten egg to the mixture. Empty into a loaf pan and bake at 325 for about an hour.

SUCCESS!!

It turned out perfectly when I added the baking soda and tastes great. For a change, I soaked the fruit in strong cup of Chai tea, so the loaf has a really subtle spicy flavor. Thanks again for all your help!!

Have a good look at it - it will all be gone by tomorrow...
It looks wonderful. Who'd have thought, with so few ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or