Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,390,968 times

Advertisements

I'm gladdened, but not entirely suprised, by your results. I've given a number of these 1910 recipes a try, and some of them still work well while others don't. The point that always hits me is how few ingredients people had to work with only a century and a little more ago. Cold cellars, yes, but no reliable means of refrigeration yet. No means of long-distance transportation either. No idea what a 350-degree oven might be. People cooked with and ate what could be grown and raised in season on their own or nearby local farms, doing much of what would today be called "processing" all by themselves. A very different world then, and one which was about to change dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
No, I don't put eggs in my stuffing. I do put cubed and toasted sourdough bread, onions, celery, apples, wild rice, butter, chicken broth and sage in my stuffing. If I have rosemary and thyme I'll put those in there too. Now, the North Carolina branch of my family do put eggs in their dressing. It's okay...but I'm not a big fan of cornbread dressing.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
No, I don't put eggs in my stuffing. I do put cubed and toasted sourdough bread, onions, celery, apples, wild rice, butter, chicken broth and sage in my stuffing. If I have rosemary and thyme I'll put those in there too. Now, the North Carolina branch of my family do put eggs in their dressing. It's okay...but I'm not a big fan of cornbread dressing.
this sounds like a tasty go-to dressing recipe for all kinds of meats.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
It helps bind the stuffing together in a bread stuffing. (Not in a cornbread stuffing though)
This is actually for a dressing recipe and is not stuffed inside the turkey. The top gets crunchy and golden, and then we mix it up before serving to give it a nice texture.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

555 posts, read 1,258,729 times
I've always put an egg or two in my stuffing. I tend to think that it just helps bind everything together and makes the stuffing nice and moist.

I use older, stale white bread, celery, onions, garlic, salt, sage, thyme, rosemary, pepper, poultry seasoning, crushed red pepper, chicken broth, parmesan cheese, a sprinkle of powdered chicken base and Italian Style sausage in mine.

A friend just recently told me she is preparing a stuffing recipe this year that has blueberries in it. It sounds interesting and I'll wait to taste it for myself to see if I might want to use it next year.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Sorry I meant to type stove top stuffing...the boxed kind.

(Thank you!)

Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
My stuffing has a TON of butter, onions, celery, white and wheat bread, cubed, and thyme and sage and black pepper and a smidge of salt.
I put as much as will fit into the turkey, and the rest into a cake pan, which is baked for 20 minutes or so once the turkey is done. Some of my family liked it smooshy, like it comes out of the bird, some liked it more separated and crispy like it comes out of the pan. Everyone's happy!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I see nothing wrong with it, but my usual stuffing binds together just fine from the moisture from the turkey.
Amen. Those juices and fat make for the "bread" in cornbread stuffing/dressing.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Could you please post the portions of herbs you add? I find rosemary very strong.

My father [85] is already asking if the turkeys are in at the supermarket. Id like to make a pre-thanksgiving small breast and would love to try your dressing.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Could you please post the portions of herbs you add? I find rosemary very strong.

My father [85] is already asking if the turkeys are in at the supermarket. Id like to make a pre-thanksgiving small breast and would love to try your dressing.
I usually make my stuffing with 12 cups of bread. If using fresh rosemary I use 2 teaspoons, if using dried I use 1/2 teaspoon. The same goes for sage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes