U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I was always a bit afraid the stuff the bird as I read that you have to make sure every bit gets taken out ,none left inside for too long...no idea why ?
I only remove it as I need it. I love to visit a refrigrated turkey carcass at midnight armed only with a sharp knife and a spoon. I eat the turkey with my fingers but bring a spoon to dig out the hidden specks of stuffing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I only remove it as I need it. I love to visit a refrigrated turkey carcass at midnight armed only with a sharp knife and a spoon. I eat the turkey with my fingers but bring a spoon to dig out the hidden specks of stuffing.
Now I'm bloody hungry...thanks a lot

Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,754,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You remind me of "A Christmas Story" where the kid is describing his dad and the turkey...LOL.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
i do not put eggs in my stuffing .but i can tell you meatless eaters a sure fire recipe for stuffing .loads of mushrooms .cook slow in oil butter till brown .dont add any thing in pan till browned .when brown add some sage and poultry season with a lot of butter add salt to taste but not untill mushrooms browned or not as tender or will not brown ,add can of cream of mushroom soup,thin out with veg stock if to thick,add to your stuffing ,you will not no meat is not in there.also i make a mean meatless mushroom chili,so good you dont need meat meat .......

Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,667,305 times
To answer the OP's question I do not put eggs in my stuffing. I don't believe I have ever heard of a recipe that calls for it. I am sure it is out there. I like my stuffing made without added eggs. That is one thing I have figured out how to do with my Dad's help is make a delicious gluten free stuffing. Yummy. Now I want some gf stuffing.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 PM

1,321 posts, read 396,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Some people say not to add eggs, I've always added one or two eggs, do eggs make that much of a difference ?
No eggs in mine, using Mom's recipe that she used from the 60's on. Midwestern pork sausage stuffing, the bread cubes , cooked pork sausage, celery, onions, sage, poultry seasoning, celery seed, and a couple cans of Swanson's chicken broth. Every year everyone loves it.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 PM

1,321 posts, read 396,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL so many differences in styles!

1) What some people are calling stuffing, we call "dressing." We don't stuff dressing into the turkey. We bake it in big baking pans and serve it alongside the turkey, with gravy.

2) We don't add eggs for binding - we add finely minced hard boiled eggs for taste and texture.

3) Since everyone fights over this dressing when we're packing up the leftovers, and since it's eaten by the human equivalent of ravenous wolves within 48 hours of T-giving dinner, we don't ever use it to make croquettes or cakes!

Yes, it was called dressing until I moved out west, then everyone we knew called it stuffing. We never stuffed it in the bird either, always baked it in a couple of pans in the oven ahead of time usually the night before. Then we'd test it when it was done and it was delicious. I always enjoyed having a little dish of it the night before.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 AM

44,840 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Yes, it was called dressing until I moved out west, then everyone we knew called it stuffing. We never stuffed it in the bird either, always baked it in a couple of pans in the oven ahead of time usually the night before. Then we'd test it when it was done and it was delicious. I always enjoyed having a little dish of it the night before.
YUM!

I am about to start the cornbread dressing extravaganza today. I have to make three big skillets full of cornbread and boil about 8 eggs. I have to boil a whole chicken as well, and dice up lots of celery and yellow onions also. Then I basically dice up everything really fine (eggs, some chicken, etc) and mix them with melted butter and chicken broth till they are sort of soupy (crumble up the cornbread really fine). I save back a bit of everything, plus the giblets, to make gravy on the day of the big event.

Anyway, this makes three big pans of dressing. I top the uncooked dressing with pieces of chicken and bake it till it's "set."

OMG it's fantastic. It really doesn't call for any herbs - just salt and pepper - which seems like it would be bland, but it is definitely NOT bland.

Oh and no sweet cornbread! This is a hearty, chicken flavored, finely textured dressing. Not dry at all - it's very moist, almost like a souffle in fact, though of course it's not light. I don't actually use a lot of butter in it, so it's not any worse than eating a big chunk of cornbread - that is, till you pour all that gravy over it....

It takes a whole day to make it but it's well worth it! Oh and it freezes very well, so it's ideal to make a whole big bunch of it and put some back for Christmas dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes