Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

It's a treat I get about once a year. Slice it, pound it thin, dip in egg, saltine crackers, and fried.

Also good to put it i the smoker.

Anyone else got a favorite way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Lightly grilled to just med-rare with a Cumberland sauce

C'est magnifique!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i like to fry em up with a little olive oil....

Old 11-30-2013, 12:40 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
We always treat it just like a beef New York Strip. It's tender and good in a marinade sauce. In fact we marinade it for a couple of days in this sauce and use the sauce for deer chops and many other cuts we will be grilling. We eat a lot of deer in our area as they are thick here. Here's the marinade I often use:

Marinade for Deer Meat - To Be Grilled

1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 soy sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Mix together. Place deer meat in a ziplock bag, and refrigerate, turning two times a day. Marinade 1 to 2 days. Best if grilled.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
We always treat it just like a beef New York Strip. It's tender and good in a marinade sauce. In fact we marinade it for a couple of days in this sauce and use the sauce for deer chops and many other cuts we will be grilling. We eat a lot of deer in our area as they are thick here. Here's the marinade I often use:

Marinade for Deer Meat - To Be Grilled

1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 soy sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Mix together. Place deer meat in a ziplock bag, and refrigerate, turning two times a day. Marinade 1 to 2 days. Best if grilled.
Gonna have to try that.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Hopefully some of you venison-cooking people can give me some tips. I was just given three pounds of ground venison and about a pound of chunks that are "great for making stew." Shot, butchered and frozen last week. (Sadly no backstrap; I know that is considered the choicest cut.)

I've had venison but never cooked it. I'm going to look online too but advice here would be fabulous, thanks!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Hopefully some of you venison-cooking people can give me some tips. I was just given three pounds of ground venison and about a pound of chunks that are "great for making stew." Shot, butchered and frozen last week. (Sadly no backstrap; I know that is considered the choicest cut.)

I've had venison but never cooked it. I'm going to look online too but advice here would be fabulous, thanks!
Cut the pieces into the size stew meat you like, and cook in a crock pot like a regular beef stew
Or simmer in a pot if you don't have or use a slow cooker

I've cut up over a thousand deer thru the years. And it can be tough- id season and slow cook.
Hope you like it!
Be sure to trim away as much of the visible fat off the meat- Fat and bone is where most of the gamey flavor comes from

The ground venison you can cook as is- hopefully they didn't mix any deer fat in- if you get a strong gamey aroma you don't like - don't panic

The best ground venison I like- is mixed with fatty ground beef or fatty ground pork

If you think your ground venison is too strong - make a meatloaf out of it. It will be milder

Hopefully you will like it as is

Old 12-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

My family loves to just make patties out of the ground venison and fry it like a hamburger. If it's really lean, use a bit of Pam cooking spray or a bit of oil. We put cheese on our's. Or, just use it any way you'd use beef--a meatloaf, chili...whatever.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Thanks, mainebrokerman and Vizio!

I do have a slow cooker and figured I'd do a stew with the chunks. Thank you for the tip about cutting off the fatty parts....I don't think I mind a gamey flavor actually (I like lamb) but maybe I'll trim some. As I said, I have had venison numerous times and liked it.

The ground venison looks lean to me (very dark); I may try a meatloaf with some of it and some burgers with the rest.

One other question if you don't mind - is there a difference in flavor between does and bucks? This was a "button buck" so young, as I understand it.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM

Flavor has more to do with age, feed , stress , and how it's butchered ... But good question

The button buck should eat very well- doe's usually taste good too

It's the older swamp bucks that are tough, same as moose , a younger buck or smaller doe usually tastes better

Some old timers will say the venison can taste particularly musky in an older buck because it's usually in the rut when shot in the fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes