Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 05:20 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,386,593 times

Advertisements

Soak the chops in a buttermilk and salt brine for an hour or two. Rinse, dry, dredge in something. Brown on both sides in butter/olive oil. Place in baking dish and tent with foil. Depending on thickness, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so. Test for doneness -- ovens and chops do vary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,119,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Try to get chops that have some fat in them. Most pork sold now has so little fat it is dry as dust. I like to get the cheapest assorted thin cut chops, & braise them in a little chick stock seasoned with some Worcestershire sauce, topped with sliced onions or whatever other seasonings/veg you have. Sliced bell peppers are good, too. If you have time, brown the chops first for an extra layer of flavor--just don't over cook them.
I agree with this...I actually prefer pork steaks to the more expensive cuts. Fattier and tastier.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,844,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Soak the chops in a buttermilk and salt brine for an hour or two. Rinse, dry, dredge in something. Brown on both sides in butter/olive oil. Place in baking dish and tent with foil. Depending on thickness, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or so. Test for doneness -- ovens and chops do vary.
Thank you, so many good hints on this forum, many good cooks too, I'm addicted to this place.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,557,856 times
Here is my favorite way to make pork chops - my mother did it this way and my husband LOVES pork chops so I fix them a LOT. Add about 2 tablespoons of canola oil to the pan first and let it get hot (my skillet is really old and is not coated with anything - is just stainless steel). I dredge the chops in flour and place them in my electric skillet set to about 360 degrees then salt and pepper lightly. Let them brown a bit on one side and then turn on the other side and let that side brown as well. Once they have browned nicely, I add about a half to three quarters of a cup of water to the skillet, turn the temp down to simmer, put the lid on with the vent shut and just let them cook a while. Make sure the temperature is down very low or set on simmer. I have let them cook as long as 30 or 40 minutes while I was boiling potatoes to mash, or just fixing the rest of my dinner. When you are ready to remove them to a plate, they will be so tender and moist you won't even need a knife to cut them with. THEN comes another good part - the pan drippings. If you will add a few tablespoons of flour to the drippings, increase the heat a bit to about 275 or 300 degrees and the the flour cook a few minutes - stir...stir...stir out the lumps and then stir in milk and continue stirring until no lumps remain - let it come to a gentle boil. Once it comes to a boil that is as thick as your gravy will get - it is delicious served over your mashed potatoes and gravy, or biscuits, or rice, or whatever you come up with. I generally buy the thicker cut of boneless chops or butterflies as a personal preference, but this works with bone-in chops too. They are never dried out, and they are just tender and yummy.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,191,537 times
^ This. Always cover meat when cooking if you want it tender. I guess I have been answering a lot of posts with the same answer. Cover the meat and have liquid in it if you want it tender.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:57 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,526,019 times
I can't cook a dry chop, just simmer it in some kind of liquid.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,587,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Try to get chops that have some fat in them. Most pork sold now has so little fat it is dry as dust. I like to get the cheapest assorted thin cut chops, & braise them in a little chick stock seasoned with some Worcestershire sauce, topped with sliced onions or whatever other seasonings/veg you have. Sliced bell peppers are good, too. If you have time, brown the chops first for an extra layer of flavor--just don't over cook them.
True. Try not to get center cut pork chops (the ones without the bone), not enough fat in them and they will not be tender. The assorted packs with loin and rib cuts are the tenderest and they have the bone in. They look like little T-bone steaks.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,095,090 times
Bone in chops are more tender and flavorful than boneless

Buy the center "loin" bone in chops , they have the pork tenderloin on one side of the chop

Most folks overcook pork - it only needs to be 145 temp. Not 160-180

Pork is 40% leaner than 35yrs ago and the bnls pork chops are the best sellers, but they can be dry - they can be very lean - lean and tender rarely go together

The pork tenderloin is an exception. Buy this on sale slice into medallions and fry them up- really good

Someone mentioned assorted pork chops- these are good to buy- not only cheap, but have good flavor- usually consist of bone in. Blade , sirloin, and center cut chops -

Years ago we called these quarter-loins, now they are called assorted chops- all from the pork loin

Often, stores will sell a fresh pork steak from the pork butt, these have some marbling and are more flavorful, and cheap!

Many stores sell the pork pork sirloin chops or cutlets, these come from the pork sirloin, can be. Quite cheap, but lean and dry

Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,152,189 times
1. Fat chops.
2. Cover with your favorite salsa.
3. Cover.
4. Bake at 375 until JUST done.

The salsa keeps it nice and moist.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,272,821 times
Get and instant-read thermometer. If on the stovetop, make sure the meat is at room temperature when you start. Use medium-low heat and cook slowly. If the heat is too high it’ll dry the chop into shoe leather. A quick tip: pat the chop dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and sugar. The sugar will caramelize (i.e., brown) the meat at a lower temperature are create a nice crust. That trick also works for seafood, especially scallops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes