U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM

9,206 posts, read 19,061,963 times

Advertisements

Here's the full page:

Italian Recipes

Real Italian Recipes

Search Main menu

Scaliddi

Scalidi are little twisted cookies deep fried and coated with honey. They also make an appearance around Christmas time. This is Moms recipe. It makes a lot! Mom used to braid them but I twist them around the end of a spoon. It is easier. You can obviously do it however you choose.
Ingredients
6 eggs (beaten)
1 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
6 cups of flour
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 cup oil
1 cup of milk
(optional add zest of one lemon and 1 tsp of vanilla)
Technique
Add eggs, oil, milk and sugar together and blend well. Slowly add is six cups of flour until the dough is tacky. It will be a little wetter than the wine cookie dough. Let it sit 15 minutes.
Roll out pencil-thick ropes and braid the ropes into cookies about 5 inches long, or wrap them around the end of a floured wooden spoon to form a ladder.
Fry them in 375 degree oil for about five minutes or until golden brown. Let them drain and cool. They will be honeyed after they cool down.
Twist them around a FLOURED spoon. You can make circles as well.

Let them cool on a rack. You can freeze them and honey them when you are ready.

Mangia!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,409,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Found a picture for you
Thanks. I found that. I was looking for one that shows the cookies braided...like my family makes them.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM

119,904 posts, read 14,200,815 times
Thank you very much. I think I had them in my church meeting ones Thank you all for your great help I am thinking to make eggnog and maybe Scaliddi. Could have a little pre get together I have one problem now I never ever had and made eggnog and does any of you have a real delicious one,that you guys make at home?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Default Eggnog

Here's an "adult" version of eggnog. For a mellow variety, use Southern Comfort

Eggnog Recipe

• Yield: Makes 1 quart. Serves 4-6.

Add to shopping list
Ingredients

• 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 whole cloves
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp each of bourbon and rum or brandy, or to taste (can omit for kid-friendly eggnog)
  • *4 egg whites (optional)

Method

1 In a large bowl, use a whisk or an electric mixer to beat egg yolks until they become somewhat lighter in color. Slowly add the sugar, beating after each addition, whisking until fluffy.
2 Combine the milk, cloves, and cinnamon in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat on medium heat until the milk mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
3 Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
4 Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. It helps to have a candy thermometer, but not necessary; if you have one, cook until the mixture reaches 160F. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle. (If the mixture does curdle you may be able to save it by running it through a blender.) Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the cloves. Let cool for one hour.
5 Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, and bourbon/rum and brandy (feel free to omit for kid-friendly eggnog). Chill.
*Optional: Beat egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add a teaspoon of sugar and continue to beat until they reach stiff peaks. Gently fold into eggnog. Note, because of the salmonella risk from raw eggs, it is recommended that children, elderly, and people with compromised immune systems refrain from eating raw eggs such as the optional whipped egg whites in this recipe, unless you use pasteurized eggs.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,409,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
How many egg yolk can I use for that recipe? I need to find this one,it sounds so familiar
The recipe, which I linked in my original post, says 12 eggs--11 yolks & one whole egg.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Here's an "adult" version of eggnog. For a mellow variety, use Southern Comfort

Eggnog Recipe

• Yield: Makes 1 quart. Serves 4-6.

Add to shopping list
Ingredients

• 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 whole cloves
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp each of bourbon and rum or brandy, or to taste (can omit for kid-friendly eggnog)
  • *4 egg whites (optional)

Method

1 In a large bowl, use a whisk or an electric mixer to beat egg yolks until they become somewhat lighter in color. Slowly add the sugar, beating after each addition, whisking until fluffy.
2 Combine the milk, cloves, and cinnamon in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat on medium heat until the milk mixture is steamy hot, but not boiling.
3 Temper the eggs by slowly adding half of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly while you add the hot mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
4 Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon. It helps to have a candy thermometer, but not necessary; if you have one, cook until the mixture reaches 160F. Do not allow the mixture to boil, or it will curdle. (If the mixture does curdle you may be able to save it by running it through a blender.) Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove the cloves. Let cool for one hour.
5 Mix in vanilla extract, nutmeg, and bourbon/rum and brandy (feel free to omit for kid-friendly eggnog). Chill.
*Optional: Beat egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Add a teaspoon of sugar and continue to beat until they reach stiff peaks. Gently fold into eggnog. Note, because of the salmonella risk from raw eggs, it is recommended that children, elderly, and people with compromised immune systems refrain from eating raw eggs such as the optional whipped egg whites in this recipe, unless you use pasteurized eggs.

Yes I want one with the 'adult' version thank you sooo much : Have you ever tried eggnog?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Here's a different version of the scalidi cookies - uses more egg yolks and just a pinch of flour!!

scalidi
11 egg yolks
whole egg
Tbsp sugar
Tbsp melted butter, cooled
Tbsp vanilla flavoring
tsp baking powder
pinch
salt and flour

have eggs at room temperature
beat yolks and whole egg in electric mixer until thick and lemon colored (about 25 minutes)
add sugar slowly, salt and anise when eggs have beaten about 15 minutes
when eggs are done, add cooled butter
mix baking powder with a little flour, add to egg mixture
continue adding flour a little at a time until you form a medium-firm dough
knead till smooth and elastic and forms blisters on surface
oil surface of dough, cover and let rest for 1/2 hour
roll into pencil or rope-like shapes
cut into about 6 inch pieces and tie in loose knot or pretzel-like shape
fry in deep fat til golden brown
when cool, dip individually into boiling honey to glaze.

P.S. Seems the recipe forgot to mention the anise - I would use a little at first (a pinch?)

Old 12-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
The recipe, which I linked in my original post, says 12 eggs--11 yolks & one whole egg.

Yes I realized after I asked you ..I am now really intrigued in the recipe. Need to read more up about it Want to know how much time I will spend on it Thank you very much for your spontaneous help

Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,165,504 times
Quote:
What can I do with 24 egg yolks?
Freeze them for later use. Beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar (or corn syrup) per 4 yolks. Label the container whether youve added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts). Freeze.

(The gelation property of an egg yolk causes it to thicken when frozen, so you need to give yolks special treatment. If you freeze them plain, they'll become so gelatinous that they'll be almost impossible to use in a recipe.)

Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,902,715 times
Lemon curd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or