Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,743 times

Advertisements

High quality meat needs nothing more than salt and pepper.You start by putting roast in a 500 degree oven,turn heat down to 300 cook until inside reaches 130 let it rest you will have a medium rare roast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:21 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
I put a dry rub on the day before...salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin (yes, cumin...secret ingredient!). Leave uncovered with rub over night. Oven 500 deg for 30 min. Cook until done at 225 deg.Use a meat thermometer in order to get it cooked to YOUR rareness. There are charts on the web to help you with that. I tried it with just the first 4 ingredients and it was okay. I read somewhere to put cumin in the rub and I wouldn't make it without it. It gives it that "restaurant style" flavor. Also, I put 1/2 cup water in the bottom of the BROILER pan in order to increase the moisture a bit. I do not cook mine in the roaster. In my family's opinion, dry roasted on the broiler pan at low temp is best. Good luck....they're pretty pricey, so yes, you want it to be perfect!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,333 times
Default Standing rib roast for 10 adults...

Can anyone tell me how big it needs to be? I am planning to make it for a holiday dinner and will put in an order for it based on what you all suggest... Also the grocery store is offering a deal - 5.99 per pound which is probably a good deal, right?

Thanks for your opinions/suggestions...

D aka inexperienced cook.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
The traditional butcher's formula I learned from my grandfather is 1 rib per 2 diners. For 10 diners that would be 5 ribs.

But tell your butcher you have 10 diners and let them guide you.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
For $6/# I'd get two 10#'ers. Cut each one into 5# roasts, vac seal, and freeze.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
I agree with Capt. That is an awesome price. Get as much as you can.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
yes, it is a good price,

id figure 1lb per person. for bone in

1/2-3/4lb per person on boneless, again depending 0n kid to adult ratio

if a bone in roast, ask butcher to bone and tie for easier carving

years ago, they use to sell "small end" and large end" rib roasts, the small end, connected to the strip/short loin, end of the rib, while the large end connected to the chuck
the small end has the very large "eye" of the rib, or delmonico, while on the large end, there is a "cap" muscle that is well marbled and delicious, but also with the large end (5, 6, 7, rib) come some kernel fat.

it was more of a difference years ago- because of alot more caps left on the rib eye, that's not sold in most stores anymore,,

Old 11-23-2012, 03:19 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Suggestion: after the roast is cooked, cut off the bones in a slab with a generous amount of meat still attached. After that you carve the roast. In my opinion, Prime Rib needs to be served in thick slabs.

Save those bones and the next night or so, put them on the barbecue with some wonderful barbecue sauce. I use Sweet Baby Ray's, but any good sauce will do. You will have some barbecued beef ribs like you didn't know existed. They are the whole point (almost) for me to buy a bone in rib roast.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
For $6/# I'd get two 10#'ers. Cut each one into 5# roasts, vac seal, and freeze.
Wellllllll... maybe. At that price it almost certainly won't be Prime, and I didn't see anything to indicate it was. At that price it is most likely Choice beef, and the $7/lb is not that unusual for big cuts.

What seems to be driving these sales is that the horrendous drought we're in has driven a lot of stockmen to bring cattle to market in less than top condition, and much of the beef being sold right now is only of so-so quality.

Price alone tells you nothing.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
here's a bit of beef insight

top three grades of beef are
prime
choice
select
but there are 5 yield grades off each major grade

below select is standard, basically cow

alot of cheaper beef is now being sold from mexico, sukarne is a brand for example,,lean,,but not much flavor
and beware of a description called nr or no-roll,,,ungraded, much of this is called dark cutters or cherry beef,,,,,very brackish in color,,doesnt bloom normally, reflects the animal was tense or stressed when stunned/killed

the grades are measured by marbling- fatty specs inside the meat, condition of the muscle, tone and color of the fat, etc.

prime is highly marbled and expensive

choice is quite common in most stores

select is still decent,,,,lower in fat

below these grades...be careful

country of origin labeling is required by law,,,,not that every store follows the law, but pay attention to the grading, if something is suoer cheap, usually theres a reason for it...if the grade isnt labeled,,,,ask what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes