U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM

7,078 posts, read 9,279,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My Hungarian grandmother used to make a cabbage strudel that was to die for. There's so much you can do with cabbage, and to me, it's all delicious.
Wow, did she give you the recipe? I would love to try that myself!

Whoa up there Sheena -- to me halushki is a cabbage dumpling. Or even a fritter. Maybe my Ukrainian forbears are leaking around the edges.

Cabbage Muffins are a stretch but really delicious...You can vary these by adding apple and nutmeg instead of onion and celery seed.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups cabbage ( grated)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons onion flakes
6 tablespoons butter (melted)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, onion flakes and celery seed thoroughly. Add the grated cabbage and stir into the dry ingredients. Whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter together well. Add to dry ingredients and stir quickly, making sure it isn't over 10 sec. Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,898,680 times
Stuffed cabbage casserole is a weekly meal in our house. I also use cabbage in vegetable soup and fried cabbage with bacon and onion.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:30 PM

18,547 posts, read 23,045,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

Whoa up there Sheena -- to me halushki is a cabbage dumpling. Or even a fritter. Maybe my Ukrainian forbears are leaking around the edges.

Cabbage Muffins are a stretch but really delicious...You can vary these by adding apple and nutmeg instead of onion and celery seed.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups cabbage ( grated)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup low-fat milk
2 teaspoons onion flakes
6 tablespoons butter (melted)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, onion flakes and celery seed thoroughly. Add the grated cabbage and stir into the dry ingredients. Whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter together well. Add to dry ingredients and stir quickly, making sure it isn't over 10 sec. Spoon into greased muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

A dumpling? That sounds good too! Could you please expound?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 AM

5,596 posts, read 4,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Grammy never wrote down her recipes....she gave verbal instructions, like "take a piece of butter the size of a walnut". However, this recipe sounds like what she did, except she added a spoonful or so of sugar. Too many online recipes for strudel call for phyllo dough. She made the real deal.....stretching out dough the size of a baseball to cover a huge kitchen table and then spread on the delicious cabbage filling.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/fy70h45k...e-strudel.html

Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM

762 posts, read 436,934 times
Surprised no one has mentioned Runza. Husband loves these things, and he isn't much of a cabbage fan. I do not add cheese to mine.

Printing Recipe - Runzas (Bierocks) | Rhodes Bake-N-Serv

Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM

24,613 posts, read 23,585,201 times
^^^ I don't think that I've ever eaten that, at least not the version in bread. I've had plenty of beef and cabbage casseroles over the years.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM

119,892 posts, read 14,196,641 times
Red Cabbage Recipe - How to Make Great Rotkohl - Recipe for Cooked Red Cabbage
This recipe I use when making any poultry dish for a special occasion. Unfortunately my recipe is in German and it is difficult for me to change into American measurements,but I found this one and it is the same one I recommend this recipe

Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,320,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't think there's any way I DON'T like cabbage.
I'm with you!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngID View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned Runza. Husband loves these things, and he isn't much of a cabbage fan. I do not add cheese to mine.

Printing Recipe - Runzas (Bierocks) | Rhodes Bake-N-Serv
They sound delicious!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 AM

Default My cabbage recipes

Roasted Cabbage

1 tsp olive oil (5g)
2 tbsp real bacon bits (14g)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
1 Medium Head of Cabbage

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Mix the olive oil, bacon bits, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to make the marinade.

Prepare the cabbage. Rinse it under water and remove any yucky loose leaves.

Cut the head in half on the core.

Then cut the halves in half again to make quarters.

Lay each wedge on a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to wrap it up in. Spoon about 2 TBsp of the marinade on top making sure to get it in all the nooks and crannies.

Wrap each wedge,lay on oven rack,and bake for 20-30 minutes,if you like it still crunchy,but up to 1 hour if you prefer it really tender.

Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion, and Garlic

Recipe by Kathi Richards Smith allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
Directions:
1.Place the bacon in a large stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion caramelizes; about 10 minutes. Immediately stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.

Baked Creamed Cabbage

Ingredients

1 medium cabbage
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Directions

Shred cabbage and cook for 9 minutes in boiling water.
Remove cabbage and drain well.
Place in 1 1/2 quart buttered casserole.
Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and salt and cook until smooth.
Add milk gradually, stirring until thick.
Pour sauce over cabbage and sprinkle bread crumbs over top.
Bake at 325 for 15 minutes or until crumbs are brown.

Creamed Cabbage- Norwegian Style

Ingredients

1 lb cabbage, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 2/3 cups milk
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Directions

Boil cabbage until tender, approximately 30 minutes and drain well.
Make a roux from the butter, flour and milk stirring constantly until it turns a light brown. Add bouillon and stir to combine.
Add cabbage, salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to mix together.
Serve.

FRIED CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE

1 stick butter or margarine
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped or cut into strips
1 small onion, chopped
1 pound polish sausage[kielbasa],sliced into round pieces (can use smoked sausage).
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
few drops of hot sauce (optional)

Melt butter in large skillet. Add cabbage, onion, and green pepper and cook on medium high for about 5 minutes stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. Makes about 8 servings. Enjoy!

kielbasa-cabbage-and-onions-low-carb-slow-cooker-crock-pot

"From The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook by Kitty Broihier & Kimberly Mayone. "These flavors may remind you of something your grandmother used to cook. A great dish for a simple fall supper." Serving suggestion - Serve this dish with toasted, buttered, low-carb rye bread. If desired, pass malt vinegar and butter to season the cabbage."
Ingredients

cooking spray
1 small head of cabbage, cored and cut into wedges ( about 2 1/2 lbs)
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 lb kielbasa[or smoked sausage], cut into 3-inch pieces

Directions

Coat the slow cooker crock with cooking spray. Add all the ingredients except the kielbasa to the crock, tossing so that the cabbage is well-coated with the broth and seasonings. Top mixture with kielbasa.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours; give mixture a good stir, then cook 1 hour more.

I also don't bother making cabbage rolls anymore,just make cabbage roll casserole instead,with gr. beef,chopped cabbage,chopped gr. pepper,chopped onion,rice,salt and pepper, and tomato sauce and bake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes