U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

17,478 posts, read 20,838,188 times

Advertisements

My mother in law made a meatloaf once, 1/2 lb. ground turkey and 1/2 lb. ground beef. Why she mixed the two is beyond me. I found the Turkey to be more overpowering than the beef. I could tell right away she used ground turkey. Her meatloaf is usually very good but that time it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:00 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,639,849 times
The person (my ex-husband) who I used to cook for didn't eat red meat, but I'd make everything that called for ground beef using ground turkey instead. I just made the raw meat wetter -- for instance, when I made shepherd's pie, I'd use more BBQ sauce (or ketchup) in the meat mixture than I'd use with beef. It cooked fine and moist.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,559,378 times
You stated that ground turkey is dry and I can't recall the exact recipe for the turkey burgers but I think adding an egg and a little ketchup or BBQ sauce made them moist.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM

133 posts, read 231,264 times
Default Favorite Turkey Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'll poke my spouse to post his recipe for Knelle (I think that's the spelling - something like that, at least). He mixes ground turkey with breadcrumbs, an egg and herbs, forms the mixture into large meatballs (a couple of inches in diameter), and cooks them in chicken broth. I think he includes sliced onions in the broth, too - can't remember because it's been a while since he made it. It was mighty tasty, very low-fat, and cooking the meatballs in the broth kept the meat very moist and juicy.
Quenelles

1 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tbs grated onion
2 cloves of grated garlic
1 tsp crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp white pepper

1 qt chicken broth
1 carrot
1 stalk of celery
1 small onion
1 bay leaf

Wash carrot and celery. Peel onion. Place them in the broth, bring broth to boil an reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer until reduced by 1/4. This will take about half an hour

Mix turkey, bread crumbs, egg, onion garlic and spices. Roll into balls about 1 1/2" in diameter.
Remove vegetables from broth. Add meatballs. Simmer slowly until done (20-30 minutes). Remove quenelles from pan. Increase heat, bring broth to boil and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Pour over quenelles and serve.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM

13,783 posts, read 18,702,326 times
I usually take a bell pepper or two and mix in some mixed veggies and some spaghetti sauce and some mushrooms and stuff the bell pepper with the mixed veggies , sp sauce and some ground turkey and it comes out tasting just as good as the ground beef version and wallah . supper is good and light .

Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
Made swedish meatballs tonight with ground turkey.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:43 PM

679 posts, read 1,554,102 times
As others have said, anything that calls for ground beef is a recipe for ground turkey.

I like to brown some ground turkey, throw in some shredded green cabbage and carrots, and add whatever spice I am in the mood for. Lately that has been curry flavors and ground ginger. Cumin is delicious.

For a little more flavor, you may want to add some diced tomatoes. I prefer just using dry seasoning, though.

One of my teenaged son's favorite is browned ground turkey with some smoked paprika and chili powder, cubed and boiled red potatoes, and a touch of salsa, all mixed up together. I like a dallop of sour cream on mine, but he doesn't.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM

36,479 posts, read 43,601,063 times
Some good suggestions here and I'm sure I will use most of them as I have decided to use turkey at least once a week to help us cut back on red meat. As it is we have 2 vegetarian meals a week and 2 beef plus alternating with chicken and pork on the other nights.

For the turkey recently bought i made a delicious turkey vegetable soup using ground turkey, onion, celery, carrots, beef stock, tomato juice, crushed tomatoes, green beans and seasonings. Everybody loved it.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM

183 posts, read 290,931 times
I substitute ground turkey is most any recipe calling for ground beef: marinara, meat loaf, burgers, casseroles.

You can barely tell the difference and it's a whole lot healthier.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
I substitute ground turkey is most any recipe calling for ground beef: marinara, meat loaf, burgers, casseroles.

You can barely tell the difference and it's a whole lot healthier.
Eh you can tell in burgers, meatloaf and any recipe with mild spices. Plus its a different texture and does dry out more than beef as the OP noted.

Another thing I noticed is that it expands and tightens up more than beef. So yes you can sub it out for beef but you do have to make changes to help it along. That's what I took this thread for. Great tips so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or