Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 06:19 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I just rediscovered this recipe, and they are so good. They are crispy, and spread quite a bit.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Form into 1" balls and bake on sheet with parchment paper.
350 for 12 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
So not the lite version, eh?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I know there are thousands of cookie recipes out there but these are the only oatmeal cookies I like. If you are a coffee drinker, and you dunk them in coffee they are sublime.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
How good these sound. I will be making these....might not be able to eat but a crumb or two with these stupid dietary requirements I have. but I will enjoy those crumbs while Mr. Chickie will love the cookies. Thanks for posting a treasure from your past.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Question about cookies , should unsalted butter always be used in cookies, recipes never say.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
So not the lite version, eh?
There is a lite version of good cookies?????

Butter: if the recipe doesn't say, use the salted butter. That has been fermented and has a stronger butter taste in baked goods.

If the recipe wants unsalted butter, it will call for unsalted butter. Unsalted butter is mostly used for frying. It doesn't burn or smoke as quickly as salted butter and it is slightly easier to clarify. if you are clarifying butter.

Personally, I only use salted butter. I prefer the stronger butter flavor. The unsalted butter has a more "clear" flavor because the cream was not fermented.

On this salt issue, I seriously suggest that you don't salt until the last moment and taste as you go, adding salt gradually. Nearly every modern recipe calls for way too much salt and way too much sugar to please the Mickey Dee trained taste buds.

For baked goods, I generally cut the salt amount in half with very good results (except for bread where the salt is part of the yeast rising process)

Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
I made these yesterday morning. Due to lower fat gram requirements in the family, I used margarine instead of butter. Let me tell you, these are wonderful!

I was surprised they were pretty flat and rather spread out, but the taste is yummy!

I took some to my 83 year old aunt and she thought they were wonderful. She went on and on and on telling me how good they were. Of course Mr. Chickie has eaten almost the rest of the batch since yesterday. I had one, broken up in pieces, and eaten at different times so I wouldn't get too much sugar at one time. Just wish I could eat more of these - maybe I will have another one today spread out over the day.

Superb is my descriptive word for these. Thanks gentlearts for posting.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a lite version of good cookies?????

Butter: if the recipe doesn't say, use the salted butter. That has been fermented and has a stronger butter taste in baked goods.

Personally, I only use salted butter. I prefer the stronger butter flavor. The unsalted butter has a more "clear" flavor because the cream was not fermented.
Funny as I think the opposite in terms of the creamy butter flavor. I think unsalted butter is more buttery in flavor than salted. Especially in baking or clarifying or drawn. I wonder if what we think of the taste buttery is different? To me it should be creamy with a bite of 'aged' flavor. I should note I only use European butters. Maybe American butter is different? I have to buy some one day and try it.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Question about cookies , should unsalted butter always be used in cookies, recipes never say.
The amount of salt in butter varies from brand to brand. There's anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon per half cup. When baking with salted butter, either eliminate or reduce the amount of salt called for in the recipe.

For baking, the default is unsalted butter.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM

78 posts, read 128,946 times
I baked these last week. They were great with a cold glass of milk! Gotta say... the dough was seriously delicious. We could have eaten the whole batch unbaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes