Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

So easy to make, I just buy the egg roll wrappers in the store and fill them. Here's my recipe for pork egg rolls:

1 package egg roll wrappers ( I make 15 and save the rest of the wrappers)
1 lb. ground pork (not sausage meat ground)There will be leftover filling, I serve that over the leftover fried rice the next day.
1 1/2 cups Cole slaw mix or broccoli slaw
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp. olive oil or canola oil.

sauté the onions, garlic and slaw first. Cook until tender but not too soft. Remove from pan, add ground pork and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until cooked through. Add to veggies, sprinkle 1 tsp. powdered ginger and 1 tbsp. soy sauce, mix well. Assemble wrappers on a cutting board, Wet the edges using a pastry brush and water. Place 1 tbsp. mixture onto the wrapper and roll like you would a wrap. Directions on how to roll these are on the package.
Place on a cookie sheet. Deep fry these using canola or peanut oil until puffed up and golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined sheet pan. I am actually baking mine tonight. I am brushing them with olive oil and baking them on 350 for 25 minutes. Never tried it like this so I'll let you know how it turned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM

Ok so I baked them, they came out ok, they are better fried. Still tasty though.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Ok so I baked them, they came out ok, they are better fried. Still tasty though.
I've heard you can bake spring rolls with better results. I've been meaning to try it.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I've heard you can bake spring rolls with better results. I've been meaning to try it.
Are spring roll wrappers different?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Are spring roll wrappers different?
Yes - they are more of a flaky, layered wrapper and bake better than egg rolls. We have a local place that makes their "egg rolls" with spring roll wrappers and sells them frozen. We coat them with oil and bake them in the oven - they turn-out perfect.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yes - they are more of a flaky, layered wrapper and bake better than egg rolls. We have a local place that makes their "egg rolls" with spring roll wrappers and sells them frozen. We coat them with oil and bake them in the oven - they turn-out perfect.
Yep. I actually prefer spring rolls than egg rolls as the flavor is cleaner and less greasy/heavy. Glad to know I can bake them DG. Going to try it this weekend.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...Glad to know I can bake them DG. Going to try it this weekend.
We bake them at 400°F in a convection oven. It takes a while for them to turn-out perfect, and you have to flip them occasionally. We end-up cooking ours for twenty-thirty minutes. The texture is perfect and they aren't greasy.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We bake them at 400°F in a convection oven. It takes a while for them to turn-out perfect, and you have to flip them occasionally. We end-up cooking ours for twenty-thirty minutes. The texture is perfect and they aren't greasy.
Thanks for the tip, my local store only carries egg roll and wonton skin wrappers, I'll have to go to an Asian store to get spring roll wrappers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes