Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

My husband likes tomato rasam soup but I prefer the lemon rasam. When he is sick I make him a big pot of rasam which clears out just about every thing. Don't be a slave to the ingredients list, just use what you have on hand.

Rasam - Rasam Recipes, Saaru, Charu, Pulusu, South Indian Lentil Tamarind Soup, Sathamudhu, Pulichaar, Saru Recipe, Chaaru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was beginning to think soup suppers were solely a Lutheran thing, but maybe not. When I Googled "Soup Suppers Lent" the first few hits were Catholic.

Here's my contribution for other Lenten soup eaters, or just soup eaters in general...

Strain two large cans of diced tomatoes, and reserve the juice.
Roughly chop one onion.
Cook tomatoes, chopped onion, and a generous glob of tomato paste in a Dutch oven over med-high heat until the tomatoes begin to dry out and carmelize.
If desired, add a TBSP or so of brown sugar to tame acidity.
Stir in a TBSP or so of flour and allow to thicken for a couple of minutes. Scrape up all the yummy brown bits on the bottom of the pot.
Add chicken or veggie broth to the reserved tomato juice to make 3 1/2 cups of liquid, and pour it in the pot.
Stir and let simmer for ten minutes.
Puree with an immersion blender (or carefully pour it into a blender and puree in batches, then return to the pot).
Season with salt and pepper. I also like to add a touch of cayenne.
Great with a dab of pesto, a few garlic-seasoned croutons, or a swirl of half-n-half. Or all three!

I don't eat meat anyway, so I have quite a few vegetarian soup recipes.

I'm also a Lutheran. My former church had a weekly Wednesday soup dinner. Soup bread and fruit. I grew up with this custom at home also.

I make the following soups, none with meat or fish. If any of them interest you, I'd be happy to give you the recipe(s).

1. Split pea soup
2.lentil soup
3.white bean and kale
4.cabbage and potato
5.Thia coconut
6.mushroom barley
7.lemon, garlic, spinach and rice (I some times add vegetarian "chick'n chunks to this)
8.potato chive soup
9."cream" of broccoli
10. "cream" of celery

I start many of my soups with store bought miopoix (minced celery,carrots, and onions) which I saute in olive oil or another fat.

Frequently I use vegetable bouillon, George Washington Brown or Golden Broth, or Not Chicken Broth.

I'm going to give your soup a try! Sounds good.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
We do a Lenten series on Sunday nights, and someone brings a soup.

While it's not required that the soup be vegetarian, I knew there was a vegetarian in my group and so I brought a lentil and spinach soup one year. The recipe calls for chicken broth, but I just used vegetable broth instead.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM

43 posts, read 73,079 times
Smile Soups for Lent?

Lentils for Lent, of course!

Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Good one! I thought about making mujadara for Ash Wednesday, but my daughter had her braces tightened late Tuesday afternoon, so anything that needed to be chewed was out. She was really hurting! I'll make it next week.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was beginning to think soup suppers were solely a Lutheran thing, but maybe not. When I Googled "Soup Suppers Lent" the first few hits were Catholic.
I'm a lifelong Lutheran, and the churches I've been affiliated with in my adulthood all do Wednesday soup suppers during Lent (although I don't recall them necessarily being meatless or dairy-free), but the churches I grew up in did not. The Lutheran churches I've attended in my adulthood have done a simple shared meal and short prayer service as their Lenten Wednesday night worship. When I was at a church that performed an Easter drama, those of us who were participating in the drama would stay after on Wednesdays to rehearse, since we'd been there for the meal and prayer service anyway. Different congregations embrace different traditions...outside of things that are prescribed sacramental rituals, there's a lot of variation in what practices Lutheran churches do and do not do.

My husband is a lifelong Catholic, and his particular parish does not do them. They do Friday fish fry, though.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:29 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was brought up Catholic and I've never heard of Soup Wednesday. I was also well into adulthood before I learned that pancakes and Lent starting was a thing. Maybe my parents did it wrong.
Same here. We didn't do pancakes or soup.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
My father's family only served herring during Lent. That would be penance.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
The OP and then the OP's second Post (#3) are different. One is what soups will you serve and the other is asking for recipes. The former belongs in Food and Drink and the second in the Recipes subforum. I will move this to the Recipes subforum. Please keep in mind that this is the Food and Drink forum and any discussion about religion should be in the appropriate forum.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:39 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Escarole and white bean soup is good so is pasta fagoli. Minestrone, or straccitella ( Italian egg drop soup with spinach)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes