U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times

Advertisements

We like ours with a tiny bit of heat. To the oil/bacon grease/lard we add slices of your favorite hot pepper and cook till it's fragrant, remove and set aside. Then when the oil is screeching hot again , add the cooked beans.

Don't stir either, let it cook almost like a pancake at first to get really brown. Once you try to "flip" or stir, it's harder to brown. So you need that first initial deep browning action.

Mark me another one that never noticed there were skins. I thought only garbanzos has those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 PM

222 posts, read 372,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
We like ours with a tiny bit of heat. To the oil/bacon grease/lard we add slices of your favorite hot pepper and cook till it's fragrant, remove and set aside. Then when the oil is screeching hot again , add the cooked beans.

Don't stir either, let it cook almost like a pancake at first to get really brown. Once you try to "flip" or stir, it's harder to brown. So you need that first initial deep browning action.

Mark me another one that never noticed there were skins. I thought only garbanzos has those.

My problem I think was, that I didn't actually "re-fry" them in any fat. So maybe when you do fry the beans, maybe the skins melt during this process? I would just cook them in the pot for a few hours until they were tender and when most of the water was evaporated.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:00 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,314,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
Okay, so I know how to make the beans. What turns me off from homemade, are the skins. Is there a brand of pinto beans that come without the skin? When I go to Mex restaurants, I don't ever notice any skins in the beans.
They put them in the blender to liquefy. Me, I think the skins are the best part.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:05 PM

6,076 posts, read 2,798,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
My problem I think was, that I didn't actually "re-fry" them in any fat. So maybe when you do fry the beans, maybe the skins melt during this process? I would just cook them in the pot for a few hours until they were tender and when most of the water was evaporated.
They are called "refried" for a reason.

Follow the tips from others in this thread, and you will get good beans.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 PM

351 posts, read 455,355 times
Default Use a potato masher....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

I was told by my Mexican American friends to use a potato masher after you brown it well, that's the secret. Whenever I go to a Mexican Restaurant I can tell when my entree comes if it's going to be any good by looking at the re-fried beans. It should have a nice dark color, not light colored like it came out of a can of Rosita's re-fried beans.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 05-25-2014 at 11:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM

1,871 posts, read 1,659,571 times
When I was a vegetarian I was on this major bean kick. That is how I was getting my protein. I remember I would make re-fried beans from scratch in a pan and then blend them up, which seemed to disgust my parents, and they were like re-fried beans out of a can. I enjoyed them. My mom had a recipe from her grandmother for making re-fried beans that were really delicious. I just can't really stomach beans these days, got sick of them after a while. A little here and there. I bought some hummus from the store and it was absolutely nasty. Why do people put water into hummus, just yuck to me. When I used to make it I would put extra garlic in for flavor because beans generally don't have flavor.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 AM

140 posts, read 105,393 times
I never boil my beans. I bring the water up to temp to where steam escapes from the lid then lower to the lowest flame/setting where stream is still being produced. I cook for 2 hours-- no ifs, ands, or buts. I salt at the last 30 minutes of cooking.

If I want a creamier broth, I add a fat. The starch from the beans and the fat make an emulsion. My beans come out light and tender.

A bowl of fresh pintos with some diced onion garnish is to die for.

When re-frying or mashing be sure to add enough bean liquor to be able to work the beans. The liquor will evaporte and the starch in the beans will thicken the beans as it cools[ like mashed potatoes]. If the beans dry when cool, add liquid and re-heat.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,847,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Spur View Post
I never boil my beans...
I hope you don't take that same approach with kidney beans.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 AM

140 posts, read 105,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I hope you don't take that same approach with kidney beans.
I can't remember that last time I cooked red kidney beans. If I eat beans and rice it is usually pintos with white or spanish rice.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,728,504 times
This is pretty much what we do - with additions, and canned beans. Fry some small diced onions and jalapenos to your taste in bacon grease. I use probably more grease than you'd think because the grease gets emulsified with the beans. Have tried both draining & not draining the beans - I don't drain despite pros saying the bean canning liquid is bleh -- Then cook them on low covered for a while so the flavor gets in. Mash with fork or immersion blender to your taste.

Do the same for any quick beans to use with rice - black beans,pink - just not mashed. Always onions & bacon grease but the seasonings change with what I'm going for - caribbean or 'mexican' or cajun[garlic,thyme,ginger,cilantro,etc]. The proportion of additions also goes up if I'm dumping them in rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes