U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,899,598 times

Advertisements

Bubble and Squeak is an excellent way to enjoy leftovers - I just made a batch last night using potatoes, cabbage, carrots, and onions.

I know many of you make it, so I'm curious about your recipes. Do you like to make it chunky (as I do) or do you like to mash everything up and make more of a "pancake?"

Here's how I made it last night...
  • Take leftover mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, or baked potatoes and mash them if they aren't already (I leave the skins on unless they have been baked).
  • Cut the cabbage up to get rid of any overly large pieces (I like to keep the cabbage chunky).
  • Toss the potatoes, cabbage, and carrots into a bowl and mix well (add some salt and pepper to taste).
  • Chop a medium onion and fry in your favorite oil until soft (make sure you use enough oil to also fry the potato, cabbage, carrot mixture).
  • Add the cabbage, potato, and carrot mixture to the pan with the onions.
  • Fry, chop, and flip the mixture until you get a nice golden color throughout the mixture.
  • Serve your Bubble and Squeak nice and hot.
  • You can add just about any veggies to your Bubble and Squeak (Brussels Sprouts are great).
  • Some folks also add some of the shredded/chopped meat or bacon to the mixture.
So, how do you prepare yours? Chunky or mashed? As for which veggies you use, there are an infinite number of variations - based on what leftovers you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 PM

36,633 posts, read 41,906,761 times
It's not so much a recipe as just throwing it all in a pan (usually potato and cabbage, not so much carrot, sometimes leeks). I like it less chunky, more mashed. I season it with pepper and shallot salt.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM

32,376 posts, read 59,827,196 times
Bunny Rabbit from Captain Kangaroo makes bubble and squeak.

Bubble-and-Squeak Question

Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Bunny Rabbit from Captain Kangaroo makes bubble and squeak.

Bubble-and-Squeak Question
I knew there had to be a thread about Bubble and Squeak on here. LOL - that's what the search feature is for . Maybe a mod will just add this to the end of the other thread.

That's two redundant threads I've created in a few days.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not so much a recipe as just throwing it all in a pan (usually potato and cabbage, not so much carrot, sometimes leeks). I like it less chunky, more mashed. I season it with pepper and shallot salt.
It's just that I've seen some different ways of preparing it - some folks like to create a dense pancake and others, like me, prefer a chunky concoction.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 PM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
In our house the bubble and squeak were Monday morning affairs that consisted of Sunday supper left overs
Mashed Potato
Brussell Sprouts
Parsnips
Peas.
We would also add some bacon and or liver on the plate and usually use any leftover gravy as a topper.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In our house the bubble and squeak were Monday morning affairs that consisted of Sunday supper left overs
Mashed Potato
Brussell Sprouts
Parsnips
Peas.
We would also add some bacon and or liver on the plate and usually use any leftover gravy as a topper.
Sounds great - I'm thinking I'd prefer it for Monday's supper, and certainly make sure you use-up all the gravy .

Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM

36,633 posts, read 41,906,761 times
Honestly, I can hardly ever make totally from leftovers...I usually have to prepare more potatoes if I want to make it. "Leftover potatoes" is not a phrase you typically hear in my house.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Honestly, I can hardly ever make totally from leftovers...I usually have to prepare more potatoes if I want to make it. "Leftover potatoes" is not a phrase you typically hear in my house.
I typically make extra potatoes if I plan on Bubble and Squeak the next day, and I always saute fresh onions to go with the Bubble and Squeak - love that flavor.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,346,238 times
I make old-school Germanic bubble-and-squeak with just leftover mashed potatoes and leftover cooked cabbage or Brussels sprouts, tossed together and fried up into pancakes with a little butter equivalent (I'm nondairy) and some salt & pepper. I always leave the skin on the taters when I mash them, BTW. The proportion is anywhere from half potato and half cole to 3/4 potato, 1/4 cole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes