U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 PM

351 posts, read 455,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This thread is to talk about the diverse cuisines all across Southern India. Usually, when people talk abut Indian food, they think of rotis, nans, pulavs, and spicy curries enveloped in rich in sauces. However, south Indian cuisines tends to involve more rice based products than wheat based ones. Here is an example of what I eat regularly:
  1. Idli (Rice cakes)
  2. Dosa (Rice Crepe)
  3. Pongal (Steamed Rice and dhal spiced with black pepper and garnished in ghee)
  4. Vada (Fried dumplings made of rice and garnished with chilis (can contain onions) )
  5. Steamed Rice
  6. Rasam (A kind of soup)
  7. Sambhar (Another kind of soup)
  8. Upma (A toss up of stuff )
  9. Curd
  10. Steamed Veggies
Have any of you indulged in south Indian cuisines before. If so, then share your views. Its hard to describe until you have seen it or eaten it before, but I tried my best to introduce the basic entrees in south indian food to you.
I love the Indian Cuisine I've had here in Honolulu, but by no means am I a expert in what is authentic since there is a paucity of Indian Restaurants here. I don't know if any of the Indian Restaurants here serve south Indian cuisine. Perhaps you could tell me by looking at the link below?

See link:

Indian restaurant Honolulu, HI

I usually order samosas, either vegetarian or with lamb, lamb vindaloo, fish marsala, coconut rice with cashews and gulab jamun for desert if it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I lived in north India most of my first 15 years. My last year in India I spent a lot of time in Hyderabad AP.

To me, the thing that immediately is south India is "curry leaves". I hadn't experienced them in north India, except in a south Indian restaurant in Mussoorie. In south India they were in so many dishes, and I loved the flavor they added.

In my opinion there is no substitute for "curry leaves". Nothing is even close.

Another favorite I have from Hyderabad is the vegetable called "drumsticks". MMMMMMMMMMMMM
I like to experiment when I cook and try all different types of cuisines. I had to buy curry leaves to make a Malaysian dish, Beef Rendang. It was sooo good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,131,104 times
Quote:
I am a 100 % vegetarian guy myself . I don't consume eggs, poultry, red meat, seafood, or mushrooms. I am very sensitive to products containing even traces of meat. I vomit instantly on eating them .

But there are lots of non vegetarian foods as well, and in India mutton (goat meat) is very famous.

Mutton is older sheep, not goat.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,271,370 times
"Mutton" can also refer to goat meat. I love goat meat curry.
Goat meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,116,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
"Mutton" can also refer to goat meat. I love goat meat curry.
Goat meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you like non veg in south India, I urge you to visit Karaikkudi once. A true paradise for non vegetarian indian food.

This video should tell you all about it .

Aditya visits a food heaven called Karaikudi - YouTube

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
If you like non veg in south India, I urge you to visit Karaikkudi once. A true paradise for non vegetarian indian food.

This video should tell you all about it .
Looks/sounds so YUM.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,339,031 times
Really enjoying reading this thread. . Wonderful recipes, please don't stop now!

How can I make that coffee? Please tell me or guide me to a tutorial or a recipe. .. Please please please. ..

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,901,629 times
Indian food is very diverse based on region & religion. The Hindus from southern part of India and gujarati are mostly strict vegetarian while people from the north, or the Goan, or people from Punjab or Muslim Indians usually will eat meat. Then of course there are the Christians and the Catholics who will eat any meat including beef

I cook a lot of Indian food at home (husband is from India) and I rely on You Tube a lot when trying out new-to-me recipes. I find written recipes can be tricky to follow since there are important nuances and details in cooking that can make or break your cooking but those can only be captured by watching someone cooks in front of you. My favorite you tube chef is Indian Food Recipes, Indian Cooking, Videos, Recipes, Indian Food The guy is funny too!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 AM

11,882 posts, read 11,116,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Really enjoying reading this thread. . Wonderful recipes, please don't stop now!

How can I make that coffee? Please tell me or guide me to a tutorial or a recipe. .. Please please please. ..
First off, you need a stainless steel coffee filter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...fee_filter.jpg

Put raw coffee powder into the top section of the filter. Place the hole punctured lid inside the top portion. Pour hot water through the filter. Pure liquid coffee will collect in the lower portion of your filter.

Then boil milk till froths appear.

Pour the milk into a cup, and pour the filtered liquid coffee into the milk

Add 2.5 teaspoons of sugar

Mix, wait for 5 minutes to cool down, and enjoy .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 04-30-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
My favorite you tube chef is Indian Food Recipes, Indian Cooking, Videos, Recipes, Indian Food The guy is funny too!
Yeah, Vah Chef is great!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,447,418 times
Have you watched him make Drunken Chicken? Funny but a little sad at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or