U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 PM

5 posts, read 2,805 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes to help eat the recommended intake of fruits and vegetables each day? I find it difficult to eat 2.5 cups of veg and 2 cups of fruit every day without getting bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:11 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Combining things is a great way. I make breads and muffins with zucchini, carrots, bananas, applesauce, etc. Of course not all together!

Seems like every savory recipe I cook starts off with onions and garlic. I freeze pouches of sauteed onions and garlic for fast food prep.

Put carrots (shredded or thinly sliced) in spaghetti sauce. i add almost every veggie I have to meat loaf...onions.garlic. mushrooms

dips with pureed veggies are wonderful.
spinach is featured in a lot of dip recipes (frozen boxed kind) just remember to defrost well and squeeze the water out of it well.

of course salads are a great way to get lots of veggies in. I also add craisins to my salads. Mix up baby arugula and other greens for variety.

There are so many smoothies made up of fruits and veggies. need a good blender for those but not necessarily an expensive machine.

when I make roasts I use more veggies than meat. Big ole hunks of carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, onions.

I roast most of my veggies. Just dry them off well, put on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and maybe seasoned salt and parmesan...roast for a few minutes at about 425.

and who could forget carrot cake?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM

140 posts, read 105,328 times
I add banana to my oatmeal, and fruits to my salads, I make grilled diced veggies in my egg scramble. I make a meal replacement of fruit or veggie smoothies.

gezpacho smoothie.

combine in a blender

1 cucumber peeled and rough cut
1/4 cup yellow onion
small piece bell pepper
1 garlic clove
1 large ripe tomato
1 peeled lemon
1/2 cup cold water or + one ice cube
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn bl pepper
pinch red pepper flake
1 tbl spn EVOO

blend until smoth.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 PM

3,311 posts, read 3,529,277 times
Green smoothies. (Google Simple Green Smoothies for a great site)
Adding veggies whenever you cook a chicken dish.
Adding tomatoes to beans.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,187,607 times
A handful of fruit with the cereal or oatmeal in the AM and a handful of fruit while watching TV at night.
Dried craisins, raisins, apricots, plums, bananas, berries, figs.

Add in a fruit at lunch and you hit the mark.
Apple, orange, tangelos, melons, grapes, peaches, pears.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Branch out and eat different veggies...squash, eggplant, asparagus are all good. I like to grill eggplant (brine it first, then marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then grill). I usually cook summer squash in butter with garlic, then add some grape tomatoes at the very end, sprinkle with basil and mozzarella cheese. A salad with lettuce other than iceberg is nice too...try a mix of red leaf lettuce and spinach, with grated carrot and very thinly sliced cucumber. Don't eat tons of raw spinach though, it can give you kidney stones.

I don't eat two cups of fruit a day, but once or twice a week I'll have fruit, usually berries or melon.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 2,805 times
Thanks all of friends give me such information. Gandalara i can try A handful of fruit with the cereal or oatmeal in the AM and a handful of fruit while watching TV at night, i think this is easy for me.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
For myself having cut up veggies and fruit helps. I also like those steam fresh veggies you can put in the microwave. Having a little dip on hand too may help you enjoy them. I also try to add produce to things like eggs or if you have a sandwich load up on the veggies with it.
A lot is getting into the habit and a routine.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,244,587 times
Roasted vegetables tossed with a bit of lemon zest and asiago cheese:

- Preheat oven to 425
- Take your vegetable of choice* and wash, thoroughly dry and cut into uniform pieces if needed**
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray, then add vegetables
- Toss with a bit of olive oil/oil of your choice (you want enough so everything is coated, but not dripping) and seasonings of your choice (I usually use Cavender's Greek Seasoning and a bit of cayenne).
- Roast for 30-45 minutes, stirring halfway through***
- Toss with lemon zest and cheese (optional)

The vegetables get delicious and caramelized and you can easily eat 1+ cups in one sitting.

* I've done broccoli, asparagus, baby artichokes, mushrooms, green beans, cauliflower, various squash and fresh brussels sprouts all with great success.
** You want the pieces to be cut small enough to get lots of surface area, but not so small that they'll burn easily. I highly recommend cutting brussels sprouts in half -- more flavor soaks in and they're just fabulous.
*** The vegetable you use (and the size of the pieces) will determine your cooking time. Green beans and asparagus will be at the lower end of the time scale, while broccoli and brussels will be at the higher.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,490,187 times
I eat lots of fruit and vegetables everyday. I buy a watermelon or a cantaloupe each week and chop it up and keep it in a tupperware bowl as well as strawberries and other berries and peaches. All day long, I eat this fruit. Of course, I also eat bananas and mandarin oranges too. Some fruits and vegetables I can't eat due to the diet I have to be on.

At dinner each night, I eat some type of meat, with veggies like beans (kidney, northern, black, pinto, green, lima, butter) potatoes, carrots, lettuce, pealed tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, zucchini, onions (in salads) and asparagus.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just eat a lot of fruit and veggies to get vitamins and minerals.

And wow I love carrot cake!! A little dab a do you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or