U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:56 PM

39,233 posts, read 18,773,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Okay, I just bought some raw Virginia peanuts from nuts.com. I'm not sure what kind of seasoning I'll use...maybe Lawry's salt?
Kosher salt would work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 02:22 PM

14,554 posts, read 10,694,563 times
Finally got my peanuts going. It's going to be a loooong day.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,681,241 times
We have a local place that sells peanuts in the shell, by the pound. One bin is marked "raw" the other "green". I can never remember which is the correct one for boiling!

Luckily the store has begun to add an additional sign indicating which to use for boiling, lol. I guess a lot of people would ask.

I've only done them a few times, and never added anything but salt.

Y'all have me craving some right now! (Not sure if they're in season to buy, though.)

Old 07-04-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
We have a local place that sells peanuts in the shell, by the pound. One bin is marked "raw" the other "green". I can never remember which is the correct one for boiling!

Luckily the store has begun to add an additional sign indicating which to use for boiling, lol. I guess a lot of people would ask.

I've only done them a few times, and never added anything but salt.

Y'all have me craving some right now! (Not sure if they're in season to buy, though.)
I've been craving them since I first saw this thread, and I've never even tried them before.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:23 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,681,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I've been craving them since I first saw this thread, and I've never even tried them before.
They're good. I'd never had them until a friend who grew up in Mississippi introduced us to them. My hubby doesn't like them because they are too bean-like for his taste, but I love them.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:07 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,918,575 times
Do you think a 3 qt. slow cooker is big enough for 1 lb. of peanuts or should I use my 6 qt.?

Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM

My peanuts came out great! I love them. Love the texture, too. I went by Dirt Grinder's instructions. I put the crock pot on high for the first two hours, and then turned it down to low. I kept tasting them at different intervals just out of curiosity, but I ended up keeping them on low for 10 hours, making a total of 12 hours' cooking time.

I still have another pound bag left, and I'm definitely going to try some with some heat next time, cayenne or something. I saw maggie2101's post about nuts.com, so I bought a couple of bags from them. (I had posted that I had already bought a bag, but I was assuming Ralph's here would have them - they didn't.) Anyway, I think they cost under $3 a piece, shipping was $5, but they arrived in two days. I'm wondering if there was a jump in peanut sales for them lately. lol

Great thread, elston. And thanks for everyone's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Do you think a 3 qt. slow cooker is big enough for 1 lb. of peanuts or should I use my 6 qt.?
Not sure, but mine must be a 6-qt. because I'm looking at my regular 4-qt. pot and I'm thinking it would be a tight squeeze in a 3-, if at all. I occasionally gave them a stir just to submerge the ones floating on top, but it probably wasn't really necessary.

Have you tried pouring them in to see? Do you have a bigger pot you could let them simmer in all day?

Old 07-05-2016, 02:36 PM

9,076 posts, read 8,217,916 times
Old Bay? Lawrys Seasoning Salt? What?

No.

Maybe cayenne but stop trying to bastardize them.

Salt.

Boiled peanuts are perfect in salty, briny water.

BTW, Publix carries Hardy Farms Boiled Peanuts in the produce section and they are excellent.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:59 PM

39,233 posts, read 18,773,208 times
I have used Old Bay adn I have used a local one called Everglades Seasoning......and I added red pepper flakes. Its all good....the salty brine is the thing that does it....the other flavors are just variations.....tasty ones but not essential.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:51 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,834,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
...I put the crock pot on high for the first two hours, and then turned it down to low. I kept tasting them at different intervals just out of curiosity, but I ended up keeping them on low for 10 hours, making a total of 12 hours' cooking time...
You can experiment with how long you keep it on high before dropping to low. If I'm in a hurry, I lengthen the initial time it's on high. However, it's the long slow cook on low that really gives them the flavor.

You can also drain and freeze them to reheat later. Most of the roadside vendors freeze batches and just throw them in the pot the day they're selling them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes