U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,004,782 times

Advertisements

There are two specific dishes I make that I substitute and we prefer the substitute
One is Piccadillo, I used ground pork instead of ground beef and I use tomato juice instead of tomato paste and I use brown rice instead of white rice.
These changes make the dish lighter.

The other is Meatloaf, I use the original Quaker Oats recipe except, I use 2 eggs instead of one and I use tomato juice, I do not put catsup anywhere near my meatloaf and I use quick cooking oats and more than the recipe calls for because I specifically make meatloaf to use as leftovers for sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 03:15 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
If a recipe calls for wine and we don't have any, I'll dilute some white or red wine vinegar with some water, about a 50/50 ratio.
I'm going to have to try this one.

I never have left-over wine for recipes

Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM

14,558 posts, read 10,697,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The other is Meatloaf, I use the original Quaker Oats recipe except, I use 2 eggs instead of one and I use tomato juice, I do not put catsup anywhere near my meatloaf and I use quick cooking oats and more than the recipe calls for because I specifically make meatloaf to use as leftovers for sandwiches.
That's the best part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm going to have to try this one.

I never have left-over wine for recipes
We seem to run into that problem quite a bit ourselves.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 PM

442 posts, read 378,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
When you need an egg and don't have one, you can substitute 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2 Tbsps water. If you need the egg to bread something, double the amount of water.

Works great! Except in brownies. Flaxseed eggs are disastrous when used in brownies, for some reason.
Ditto on all accounts - in the brownies I made recently it was an epic fail!!!

The taste was there but my brownies were about 1/4 of the height they normally are..

Old 11-27-2014, 01:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,189,343 times
I was craving apple pie ala mode.
I had the ice cream, but no pie.

So I warmed up some applesauce, poured it on the ice cream and sprinkled cinnamon on it.

Warm pie with no crust

Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 PM

874 posts, read 494,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
One time when I was making meatloaf I had run out of breadcrumbs. I looked around and saw that I had an almost full box of Ritz crackers. I crushed the Ritz crackers and used it instead of breadcrumbs. That meatloaf ended up tasting even better than the my usual meatloaf.

It had a richer, more buttery taste.

Yes, I agree. When I need bread crumbs, but don't have them, I use crackers - Ritz or saltines. I also use dry oatmeal, which works especially well. I've found that crackers or oats give me more bulk than bread crumbs, which are too soft.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,831,011 times
I use grated cauliflower instead of rice for fried rice (just sauté it for a good 15 minutes beforehand). My sister didn't even know I had substituted it, though to be honest, hers is not a refined palate.

I use crushed rice chex cereal instead of panko for casserole topping.

Oh, and for the person who said they wouldn't do cooked cucumber, it's actually very nice peeled, de-seeded, cut into slices and sautéed gently in butter with some S&P.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:08 PM

874 posts, read 494,551 times
When I make meatloaf, I use a packet of brown gravy mix inside (plus all the other goodies you put in meatloaf) and cover the outside with brown gravy. I don't care for tomato-based meatloaf, so I don't use any tomato products.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:18 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
One time when I was making meatloaf I had run out of breadcrumbs. I looked around and saw that I had an almost full box of Ritz crackers. I crushed the Ritz crackers and used it instead of breadcrumbs. That meatloaf ended up tasting even better than the my usual meatloaf.

It had a richer, more buttery taste.
I have not only used ritz crackers in a pinch, but heard of cornflakes being used as well (just be sure they are NOT frosted flakes!)

Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 AM

14,558 posts, read 10,697,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I use grated cauliflower instead of rice for fried rice (just sauté it for a good 15 minutes beforehand). My sister didn't even know I had substituted it, though to be honest, hers is not a refined palate.

I use crushed rice chex cereal instead of panko for casserole topping.

Oh, and for the person who said they wouldn't do cooked cucumber, it's actually very nice peeled, de-seeded, cut into slices and sautéed gently in butter with some S&P.
!! My mom just gave me a bunch of cucumbers, and I was thinking about what to do with them. I've never had them this way. It's just like how I do zucchini sometimes. Thanks!

We do the cauliflower/rice thing, too. Also as a supplement, or even substitute, for mashed potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes