Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

I will say one thing, if the tuna salad is going to have celery in it, that celery had better be super-fresh and crunchy, otherwise it won't have that awesome crunchiness that is the main reason for putting in celery. One day I made it with celery that seemed pretty fresh but was already past that super-crunch state, and it just wasn't as good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
spoiled brat likes it to end up yellow: I like it white, I have learned to have it just a little on the off white color. We are both happy that way.
Mustard dominates here for sure. Mayo no Miracle Whip. Dill not nasty putrid sweet pickle or relish. More white than yellow would bring German Potato salad to mind. Add vinegar and bacon. Occasionally, as with other things, we'll make a smaller amount with different ingredients for the gkids or guests with differing tastes.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I put eggs in both potato salad and tuna.
In potato salad, I only use onion, celery, fresh dill, rice vinegar and Kraft Mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
In tuna, I can switch between Mayo and Miracle Whip, and I like minced sweet pickles in it.

You're leaving out chicken salad. My favorite way to make that is mayo, curry powder, and raisins or grapes

Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Tuna Salad: water packed, solid white Albacore tuna finely chopped, Hellman's mayo, finely chopped onion, finely chopped celery. On RARE occasions, I will add a chopped egg into tuna salad.

Potato salad: boiled potatoes-I like to use red potatoes and leave some of the skin on. Do not overcook! , boiled eggs finely chopped, onions finely chopped, celery finely chopped, green olives stuffed with pimentos finely chopped, finely chopped sweet pickles, Hellman's Mayo. If you don't have any sweet pickles, you can use a tiny splash of vinegar to add some tanginess to the salad. I also sometimes add a few extra drops of sweet pickle juice.

There was a restaurant nearby that used to serve a combo tuna salad, egg salad (no olives) sandwich. One side of bread thinly spread with each, and put together. It was actually quite good and I've done it at home. Now I'm thinking about that...LOL

Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 PM

Y'all should try a splash of rice vinegar with Kraft mayo. It is a combination that really works for potato salad.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
I never make tuna salad, If I did it would be like this.

a can or two of chunk lite albacore in water..
diced onion, garlic powder..
thinly sliced celery
Hellmans mayo and a small amount of colemans dry mustard...

Potato Salad,

Dark russets peeled, diced and cooked
a bunch of hard cooked eggs, depending..
Diced onion, a small amount of sliced celer shredded carrots, more for color
Helmans Mayo and 1/4 tsp colemans dry mustard..

Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I never make tuna salad, If I did it would be like this.

a can or two of chunk lite albacore in water..
diced onion, garlic powder..
thinly sliced celery
Hellmans mayo and a small amount of colemans dry mustard...

Mustard in tuna is just....wrong.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
One thing I picked up from a TV chef is that I no longer drain tuna. If I want the salad a little thicker I just throw in some bread crumbs. It works. Also prevents the mess of draining into the sink or trash!

Hmmm, black olives in tuna...haven't done that in a while.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
It's colemans dry mustard powder..
you would nevr know it was there, just wonder where that little zing came from..

Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
It's colemans dry mustard powder..
you would nevr know it was there, just wonder where that little zing came from..
I sometimes use the dry Coleman's mustard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes