Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,845,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They're very popular in the United States as well and my Mother has had one for years that she uses often.
She is not limited to what she cooked in it either and everything she made turned out great.

Personally I have used a pressure cooker one time and whatever I did wrong I did very wrong the whole thing exploded and I got rid of it after that and never replaced it.
That's what I'm afraid of too, but I think there more modern now ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,738,335 times
Vaca frita!
Tons of Cuban bean stews and soups.
Carne con papas.

My mom always had that thing swishing back and forth when we came home from school to have dinner on the table by 6pm.

I use mines for Vaca frita and Carne con papas.

Vaca frita :

Flank steak or brisket
One whole onion cut in half
Two bay leaves
Two celery stalks cut in half
Two carrots cut in half
One whole head of garlic top cut off most of the paper rubbed off.
1/2 teaspoon of pepper corns
Cummin seeds slightly bruised.
One packet of Goya sazon
One chicken bullion cube
Enough water to cover the meat.

Put all in pressure cooker, once the steam beginnings to scream lower heat to medium low and simmer for about 35 to 40 mins

Take out the meat and let cool, strain the broth and keep it! That is awesome in Asian soups!

Shred the meat, put into a zip lock bag , with thinly sliced red onions, complete seasoning or adobe seasoning (found in the Latin section) and about 1/2 cup of lime juice and about four crushed cloves of garlic. Let this marinate for at least one hour, then fry in a hot pan and enjoy with black beans and rice and plantains.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,772,993 times
I make primarily stews, curries and beans in mine. Funny thing is I have never used it for meat. I didn't even know you can do that! Learn something new everyday. And I have been using one for over 15 years.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:36 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,854 times
My wife has used her pressure cooker since getting it in 1970. She uses it mainly to speed up cooking time, but also because it has a tendency to tenderize tough cuts of meat, as has already been mentioned. Her cooker was made by Presto, is aluminum, and is a six quart size. We also have an 8 quart stainless steel cooker, that she doesn't care for and a 12 quart cooker she never has used. We have a very good friend that found out the hard way the directions mean exactly what they say when they recommend against using a pressure cooker for beans. Beans have a tendency to foam while they are cooking, and if that foam closes off the pressure relief valve where the steam comes out, you have trouble. The top of his blew off and covered his ceiling with partially cooked pinto beans. No one was hurt, but his pride was damaged and he had one heck of a mess to clean up. Beans are the reason I bought the 12 quart size, I've used it with good results, and I can cook more beans in it without danger, than we can in either of the smaller cookers. We also have a 22 quart size cooker that we use just for canning, and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes