U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:27 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times

Advertisements

I've recently revisited jicama, and I really think it is a fabulous vegetable. Zero calories and a bunch of crunch.
I think it should be more popular than cucumber, since it keeps for weeks in the fridge and provides so much satisfying crunch to anything you add it to. I slice it and use it for dips and spreads as a substitute for chips and crackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 PM

351 posts, read 455,355 times
Default I'm a fan...

I'm a fan of jicama! It makes refreshing slaws and salads. It's also a better subsitute for canned water chestnuts. I could never learn how to cook Chinese food from my parents, because nothing was ever measured. It was always a pinch of that, a spoonful of this.

Then about 15 years ago, I found a wonderful Chinese cookbook that really taught me how to cook great tasting Chinese food and the author said to use fresh jicama if fresh water chestnuts were unavailable because it will taste better than the canned ones in prepared Chinese dishes.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:32 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,832,193 times
I like it too but rarely buy it now. My grocer seems to only get in the very large bulbs and since not many people buy them, it is hard to use up before it goes bad. It is one of the special things I buy when I know I will have a crowd to feed.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,296,151 times
Cook some up with cinnamon and a touch of sugar and it almost tastes like baked apples.

I'm a fan.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,749,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Cook some up with cinnamon and a touch of sugar and it almost tastes like baked apples.

I'm a fan.
I never knew that! I used to love eating it raw, with onion or ranch dip. Used to be able to find it pre-cut in packages, then it disappeared.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:07 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,930,602 times
I am, make a tasty shrimp salad with it. Hard to find in my area, and needs to be used quickly, does not hold up well.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post

I'm a fan.
Seriously?!! I think the texture is so much like an apple that that makes perfect sense.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I am, make a tasty shrimp salad with it. Hard to find in my area, and needs to be used quickly, does not hold up well.
Really? I've had a big one in the crisper (unwrapped) for a few weeks now, and it's still fine. I just cut off a hunk every few days.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,329,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've recently revisited jicama, and I really think it is a fabulous vegetable. Zero calories and a bunch of crunch.
I think it should be more popular than cucumber, since it keeps for weeks in the fridge and provides so much satisfying crunch to anything you add it to. I slice it and use it for dips and spreads as a substitute for chips and crackers.
Well I wouldn't say more popular than cukes but I too think it is a great veggie and goes well in many salads. It is funny, I hardly ever think of buying and using it. When we lived in So. Ca you could see it everywhere, both on salad bars and in the grocery stores. Here we rarely see it except in the Mexican markets. We didn't see it much even in TX and NM. I might add, many people do not realize what a high population of Mexicans we have in NWA. Now you have brought it back to my attention, I think tomorrow, when we are out doing our shopping at Aldi's, Sams and wherever, I will make a quick trip to the Mexican market.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,249,301 times
I love raw jicama, but there are a decent amount of calories in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or