Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,145 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago, while out taking my evening walk, it happened to be recyclable trash day the next morning, so everyone in my neighborhood had their bins at the curb. I walked past a home and in one of the bins, sitting atop old magazines and newspapers was this gem. An original printing from 1943.

This one is in poor condition, it's on Ebay or Amazon, I forget which one. Mine is the same version, is old looking, some pages are food stained but in wonderful condition otherwise! One of my favorite cookbooks! The words of wisdom and photos in the book are priceless!

I have actually made some of the recipes contained in the book, shocked at the amount of butter, shortening and other fats contained within the recipes.

I have adapted a lot of these recipes to my own way of cooking, a bit more healthier but still old school, comfort food style with lots of flavor!

Blessings!
Attached Thumbnails
Have you tried recipes from old cookbooks or magazines?-modern-family-cookbook.jpg  

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 08-27-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:10 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
I have a couple my MIL gave me that she got from her MIL. Both are from the 40s. I have tried some, mainly dessert recipes. Bavarian cream in a mold is my absolute favourite recipe I have tried from them. It really is a lot of fun to read and try them out.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I have a couple my MIL gave me that she got from her MIL. Both are from the 40s. I have tried some, mainly dessert recipes. Bavarian cream in a mold is my absolute favourite recipe I have tried from them. It really is a lot of fun to read and try them out.

Those cookbooks must be gems! I love old cookbooks, having even gone to several libraries to find older ones, but the best source is via garage sales and antique shops! Also, old Amish cookbooks are rare gems to find, snatch it up if you can find one, as the Amish style of cooking is always the comfort food style, using whole, fresh ingredients.

I have found that a lot of the recipes contained in old cookbooks are just not made anymore in this day and age, but oh what a treat it is when you make something from one of those cookbooks. And mostly I do alter the recipes from long ago, but ya know, sometimes I just follow that dang recipe to the letter using all the bad stuff.

It always comes out tasting better than when I try to "health" it up, lol

Bavarian cream in the mold is one of my favorites too magicshark!!

Blessings!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Absolutely. I need an online dictionary for some of the oldest recipes and their unfamiliar terms, but they are fun to try.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Sure, some of my best recipes are magazine ones, some of them older than flowering plants.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Sure, some of my best recipes are magazine ones, some of them older than flowering plants.
But younger than dirt?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
And I mean "old"! When I was a student at the University of Mississippi, I remember seeing some recipes in a Ladies' Home Journal dating before World War I! I didn't try one, though.

Absolutely, I was given a cookbook from the 1920's by my neighbor, the cookbook belonged to her Mother.
To tell the truth though I picked a "safe" recipe with ingredients I could readily obtain.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
Maternal Grandma died 2005 at the ripe old age of 97. I inherited her recipe box! Talk about the most treasured item she could have ever offered! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (making your own noodles is a lost art, you know?)

Old 09-04-2014, 03:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Those cookbooks must be gems! I love old cookbooks, having even gone to several libraries to find older ones, but the best source is via garage sales and antique shops! Also, old Amish cookbooks are rare gems to find, snatch it up if you can find one, as the Amish style of cooking is always the comfort food style, using whole, fresh ingredients.

I have found that a lot of the recipes contained in old cookbooks are just not made anymore in this day and age, but oh what a treat it is when you make something from one of those cookbooks. And mostly I do alter the recipes from long ago, but ya know, sometimes I just follow that dang recipe to the letter using all the bad stuff.

It always comes out tasting better than when I try to "health" it up, lol

Bavarian cream in the mold is one of my favorites too magicshark!!

Blessings!
We happen to live somewhat close to the German Colonies settled in Iowa and their cookbooks are tremendous when you can find one.
I don't partake in the whole garage sale shopping thing but I will go to the city wide sales specifically for old cookbooks.

I read cookbooks like I read a regular book and they are absolutely fascinating to me, so many tips and tricks from one generation to the next for the kitchen, preparing, cooking and baking.

Not quite as good as actually talking to the Elders but good none the less.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
How to prep that freshly beheaded chicken is always a hoot! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes