U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,125,570 times

Advertisements

Looking for a swedish meatball recipe that can be made with frozen meatballs. Having an open house and need this recipe. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,343,843 times
Frozen meatballs? As in you'll freeze them, or as in that they're already made and frozen?

We made meatballs just yesterday, so I can probably give you our recipe.

You'll need the following (about 50 meatballs):
3 lb minced meats.
1 egg.
2/3 cups milk.
1/2 cups rolled oats, or 2-3 potatoes, or 1/2 cup dried crumbreads (what one uses depends on taste and what one's got at the moment. In my family we prefer oats.)
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
1-2 chopped onions.
Some garlic.
(Possibly some ginger.)

1. Mix the meat, milk oats/potatoes/crumbreads, egg, spices and onion/s together. If you want, you can frie the onion/s some before mixing them into the mixture.
At this stage, it can be good to roll a ball and pre-cook it in the microwave to see what it tastes like. If it's of the desireablt taste, move on to the next step. If not, try adding some more spices.

2. Roll the mixture into small balls.

3. Frie the balls until they are brown/blackish (on some places, not until the entire meatballs are black).

4. Enjoy!

(This is pretty much how we make meatballs in my family, but there are many more receipes out there. I found this when googling:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...n/Kottbull.htm
I don't think you'll have any problem freezing meatballs. We do it all the time. It all depends on the temperature in the freezer- not too cold and not too warm. Most importantly though is that meatballs aren't that tasty if frozen and then re-frozen.)

Good luck with your open house!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 AM

39,302 posts, read 18,819,760 times
I don't have a recipe, but.....

try to find meatballs that arent Italian style...swedish meatballs have different seasonings.

If you brown the meat balls and then put them in a gravy made of cream of mushroom soup and sour cream and perhaps a touch of sugar (and if the meatballs aren't italian, maybe a tiny bit of nutmeg.....you will be in business. Let it sit in a chaffing dish or on a low oven to keep warm and to let the flavors blend.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM

9,483 posts, read 10,944,653 times
I use McCormick seasoning packet for Swedish Meatballs. You have to use fresh hamburger, though - as you mix half the seasoning packet with the meat, and the other half is for making the swedish meatball sauce. I like it.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,167,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Looking for a swedish meatball recipe that can be made with frozen meatballs. Having an open house and need this recipe. Thanks
Please tell me that you are refering to meatballs that you have made yourself, and frozen? Surely you can't be talking about using frozen ones from the grocery store! If you would like a recipe, I have a pretty good one, that I inherited from my husband's grandma. Personally, I am not a big fan of them, but he likes them.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,517,257 times
Default Swedish Meatball Dinner Recipes

My mom died without me ever getting her recipe for this dish. I'd really like to see all the different versions everyone on here has; if you'd be kind enough to share. I'm pretty sure she used Allspice in her dish, but have no idea of the amount and I'm not sure if there was curry in there too or if I'm just confused about that part. I also think she used cream of mushroom soup. See why I need recipes? Thanks everyone!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,117,629 times
Hi, Coastal. Sorry about your mom. It's nice you can remember her this way. I hope someone can come up with something close.

Mine is easy, and I know it won't match your mom's, but here it is anyway:

I make my usual meatball recipe or use a frozen brand, depends on how lazy I feel. I take a can of cream of mushroom soup (lower fat) and one of french onion, mix them together with about a half can of water (more if needed), throw it all in a crockpot and let it go.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,616,187 times
Just made them recently Coastal and I used a dash of nutmeg, panko breadcrumbs soaked in a little milk, onion/garlic powder, salt/pepper. Browned and used Golden mushroom soup, milk and sour cream at the end w/fresh parsley. Now what time should I be there?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
This is my Aunt Dee's (came over from Sweden in the 50's) recipe, converted to use a crockpot. She says her family never used mushrooms in this until she came to America.You could skip her gravy and use the mushroom soup/onion soup combo (I do!).

Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs
1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 cup cream
1-1/2 pounds ground chuck
1/2 pound lean ground pork
2 eggs
1 medium onion -- chopped really fine
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom

10 to 11 ounces beef consommé or broth - divided in half
4 to 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon butter -- melted

Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl. Add beef, pork, eggs, onion, 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cardamom. Mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on broiler pan and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Put browned meatballs in crock pot. Add 1/2 beef consommé or broth, chopped mushrooms, pepper and remaining salt. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours (high 2 to 3 hours).

To thicken gravy, turn crock pot to high. Combine butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add paste to remaining 1/2 consommé and pour into crock pot. Cook until thickened, about 45 minutes.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,944,653 times
I'm bad...I buy McCormick's swedish meatball mix... I had them at a Christmas Party, and didn't know how to make them, and when I was at the store, I saw the mix and tried it. I liked it, but the caterer's were to die for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or