U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 AM

71,586 posts, read 83,124,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm not sure if this isn't common knowledge, but the easiest way to peel garlic is to smash a heavy sideways knife against the garlic on the cutting board. The peel,comes right off and you can immediately cut it up.
yes, it is the best way, but believe it or not, as we age and lose some of the strength in our hands it doesn't work as well. I have always used fresh garlic, but am considering switching to some other form. When I do use fresh, I actually cut just a tiny end off it and then it peels pretty well or I use my meat hammer (I call it that) I can sometime smash it that way. My dad was a pro at smashing garlic and adding the salt and pepper to make a paste. I think he was still doing this in his 90s, not long before he died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:17 AM

I can think of a couple of things I like to do that changes a recipe slightly: I use a little almond extract in my apple butter: use tomato paste when making salsa for canning.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,758,684 times
I've always poked my finger into the middle of hamburger patties, but not so they don't "dome". (I didn't know they did!) I do that because then it cooks more evenly. The center will be done as fast as the edges.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM

18,255 posts, read 20,534,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, it is the best way, but believe it or not, as we age and lose some of the strength in our hands it doesn't work as well.
This is why I've put off buying a garlic press because as I age I know my hand strength will be less. I just whack then mince it is still working for me so far.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,843,781 times
Any soup, stew, beans etc that has been long cooked, I add a bit of vinegar or lemon or lime juice to spruce up the flavors just before serving. And literally just a tsp at most. You won't taste it but it does perk it up. It also helps to cut down the salt/pepper to taste as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
This is why I've put off buying a garlic press because as I age I know my hand strength will be less. I just whack then mince it is still working for me so far.
I absolutely can not use a garlic press and I have a pretty pricy one as they go. I kept thinking as time went by it would loosen up or something: didn't happen, now it sits in my kitchen toy drawer, one of the 3 kitchen toy drawers.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Any soup, stew, beans etc that has been long cooked, I add a bit of vinegar or lemon or lime juice to spruce up the flavors just before serving. And literally just a tsp at most. You won't taste it but it does perk it up. It also helps to cut down the salt/pepper to taste as well.
I too add lemon or lime juice to soups; also to split pea, I add a little sherry.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:48 PM

16,724 posts, read 14,576,392 times
*Slightly blanching or parboiling an onion will loosen the peels and keep your eyes from watering.

*Add powdered broccoli cheese soup mix to my Ramen to make it thicker and more like a pasta dish. Just put a couple tablespoons into the bowl, then the brick of Ramen, and just barely cover the Ramen with water or broth. Nuke for three minutes and let sit for two.

*Keep any shrimp peels to use as the base for seafood stock. Just pop them in a bag and freeze until needed.

*Add a tiny bit of olive oil to rice and pasta water to keep it from sticking

*I keep bacon grease to use as a substitute for butter. On anything.

*Use a wooden utensil to lie across a pot of boiling pasta and it won't overflow. The wood pops the bubbles and keeps them at bay.

~I have tried all of these methods and they work for me.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:33 PM

57,977 posts, read 40,715,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I used to use the knife/salt method when I wanted a garlic paste but lately have been using a fine Microplane, works great for cucumber/sour cream salad and for adding garlic to olive tapenade.

Last edited by burdell; 10-01-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,489,999 times
Last garlic press I had I put it in the dish washer it turned purple
Now I use a can of something to smash it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes