Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

A thread where you can post simple things that you can to do improve a recipe, a dish or a meal, or to simplify its preparation.

For starters:

Keep an open pack of Jello, and sprinkle a teaspoon onto a cup of plain yogurt. Stirring it in is optional.. It adds a nice fruity flavor to the Yogurt, and gives you some gelatin (for your nails) without the inconvenience of making a whole bowl of Jello and storing it in the fridge and eating it up. It's also cane sugar, not HFCS or artificial sweetener. Store-brand gelatin desserts are half the price of Jello, and perfectly satisfactory for this purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 04:01 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I'm not sure if this isn't common knowledge, but the easiest way to peel garlic is to smash a heavy sideways knife against the garlic on the cutting board. The peel,comes right off and you can immediately cut it up.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM

148 posts, read 228,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm not sure if this isn't common knowledge, but the easiest way to peel garlic is to smash a heavy sideways knife against the garlic on the cutting board. The peel,comes right off and you can immediately cut it up.
That is seen on every cooking show on TV.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I add a bit of anchovy paste or anchovy oil to deviled eggs, scrambled eggs, and many pasta dishes as well as meat loaf, Steak Tartare, and hamburgers. You'll never taste the anchovy, just the yumminess.

Adding mayo to scrambled eggs just before serving adds an extra zing.

Pricking a pinhole in the large end of an egg permits transferring an egg directly from the refrigerator to boiling water. Amazon sells egg prickers, often combined with slicers. Do not allow eggs to come to room temperature if you live outside of Europe. European chickens are inoculated against Salmonella. In North America we rely on refrigeration.

For the best sunny side up eggs, separate the eggs, then add the whites to the skillet. When they're about a minute from cooked place the yolks on top. A ring made from a small can keeps the yolk in place.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:44 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
An old time tip that my husband actually taught me is to add old fashioned, not the quick cook stuff, tapioca to beef stew. It helps thicken it up.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I use tomato juice in my meatloaf instead of tomato paste or sauce, it still gives it the tomato flavor but you can add more oats (if you use them) for a more solid meatloaf which I like because I make meatloaf specifically for sandwiches.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I always cook rice in vegetable broth instead of water.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I have a trick for peeling shrimp...
  • First, twist-off the tail fans (not the entire tail - it contains meat)
  • Then, peel-off the upper shell (the part with the tiny legs)
  • Finally, slip-off the lower part of the shell (it comes-off easily because you removed the tail fans).
"Remove the shoes, take-off the jacket, slip-off the pants." I can prep a pound of shrimp in no time.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 AM

351 posts, read 586,784 times
Default Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have a trick for peeling shrimp...
  • First, twist-off the tail fans (not the entire tail - it contains meat)
  • Then, peel-off the upper shell (the part with the tiny legs)
  • Finally, slip-off the lower part of the shell (it comes-off easily because you removed the tail fans).
"Remove the shoes, take-off the jacket, slip-off the pants." I can prep a pound of shrimp in no time.
Clever! I wanted to rep you, but I have to spread it around! LOL...

Be creative when making cookie crust for pies. Instead of always defaulting to the graham cracker crust, try using other types of cookies.

Once when I was making a chocolate pie recipe that called for a graham cracker crust, I used instead a "crunchy" textured peanut butter cookie processed into crumbs in my food processor with some coarsely chopped roasted peanuts. I used the same amount of butter to bind it together and slightly less sugar since peanut butter cookies are sweeter than graham crackers.

The texture contrast as well as the flavors that complimented each other really transformed this pie into just great to "out of this world" delicious!!!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Somewhere I watched recently someone putting a few cloves in a jar and shaking it like you were mixing a cocktail, the skin came right off. Maybe a good idea if for some reason you don't want the cloves to be crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes