U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,938,021 times

Advertisements

I am trying to clean out my freezer and found a ham. I know the standard recipes, scalloped potatoes, omelets, all sorts of soups and hashes etc

But what use for ham did you use it in that was surprisingly good?

For me would be teriyaki ham fried rice. I found the recipe on Hawaiian site and it's really good. I am planning on one leftover meal to be that. Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 AM

9,593 posts, read 10,946,232 times
Creamed ham

2 cups small pieces of ham
1 2 oz. jar of minced pimento
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cracked white or black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt

Toast, English muffins, biscuits, or noodles

Make a bechamel sauce. Melt the butter, then add the flour. Make a roux and let it bubble a bit for at least three minutes. While the roux is cooking heat the the milk to almost but not quite boiling. Taste the roux to make sure that the flour taste is gone. Then add the milk all at once and stir. Let it settle down and simmer for a couple minutes. Add the pimento, drained or not, sherry, and pepper. Let it cook slowly for five minutes. Add the ham. Let the ham heat. Add more milk (it doesn to to be heated this time) if necessary (not too much; you can't rethicken it). Add salt if needed. Pour the creamed ham over the hot bread or noodles.

Heating the milk and pouring it in all at once prevents lumps.

You can sprinkle some smoked paprika (not the hot or the sweet) over the ham; it makes a nice presentation and adds a tiny something (j'en sais quoi) to the taste.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 09-23-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,646,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am trying to clean out my freezer and found a ham. I know the standard recipes, scalloped potatoes, omelets, all sorts of soups and hashes etc

But what use for ham did you use it in that was surprisingly good?

For me would be teriyaki ham fried rice. I found the recipe on Hawaiian site and it's really good. I am planning on one leftover meal to be that. Any others?
My wife is bugging me to make ham balls. It's a big deal at the church potluck. Grind up ham, smother it in BBQ sauce. It's really pretty tasty.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:51 PM

I love both ideas!

Vizio, do you use anything to keep them in a "ball" shape?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:09 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
Not creative or inventive, but the only ways I have ham are ...
My favorite use for ham is macaroni salad with cheddar cheese and LOTS of chopped ham. LOTS and LOTS.
Scalloped potatoes with LOTS of chopped ham.
Cheese omelets with LOTS of chopped ham.
Baked ham with a mixture of mustard and brown sugar for dipping.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,359,291 times
Use it in place of the sausage in biscuits & gravy.

Ham chili (especially white chili) is to die for.

Quiche filling.

I would add a few layers of ham choppings to a potato gallette or a rice casserole with veggies.

You know what else it would be really good in -- tamale pie.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Use it in place of the sausage in biscuits & gravy.

Ham chili (especially white chili) is to die for.

Quiche filling.

I would add a few layers of ham choppings to a potato gallette or a rice casserole with veggies.

You know what else it would be really good in -- tamale pie.
I have one bag left for tomorrow's use. I think I am going to try the white chili recipe for it. I did the creamed ham yesterday, yum. Today is normal use, split pea and ham. Tomorrow though, leaning toward the chili!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:59 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,646,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I love both ideas!

Vizio, do you use anything to keep them in a "ball" shape?
I honestly don't know. I just know they're kind of yummy. I always enjoy eating them.

** did some googling....it looks like you mix it with ground beef or pork and make it into a meatball.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:18 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,861,826 times
chopped ham salad -- basically finely chopped ham mixed with chopped mild onions, mayo, and grainy spicy mustard

Old 09-26-2014, 04:34 PM

1,260 posts, read 999,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Creamed ham

2 cups small pieces of ham
1 2 oz. jar of minced pimento
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 cups whole milk
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cracked white or black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt

Toast, English muffins, biscuits, or noodles

Make a bechamel sauce. Melt the butter, then add the flour. Make a roux and let it bubble a bit for at least three minutes. While the roux is cooking heat the the milk to almost but not quite boiling. Taste the roux to make sure that the flour taste is gone. Then add the milk all at once and stir. Let it settle down and simmer for a couple minutes. Add the pimento, drained or not, sherry, and pepper. Let it cook slowly for five minutes. Add the ham. Let the ham heat. Add more milk (it doesn to to be heated this time) if necessary (not too much; you can't rethicken it). Add salt if needed. Pour the creamed ham over the hot bread or noodles.

Heating the milk and pouring it in all at once prevents lumps.

You can sprinkle some smoked paprika (not the hot or the sweet) over the ham; it makes a nice presentation and adds a tiny something (j'en sais quoi) to the taste.
Going to forward this to my gf. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes