U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I made braised short ribs (French style) for supper tonight. I have a recipe that turns out great in the slow cooker. To serve it, I boil new potatoes and crush them with a fork in the bottom of the serving bowl, place the short ribs on the potatoes and ladle the gravy over that . I have some crusty French bread to clean the bowl.
You forgot to leave your address, and directions to your house...You have no consideration for your friends...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 29 days ago)

58,182 posts, read 40,987,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I made braised short ribs (French style) for supper tonight. I have a recipe that turns out great in the slow cooker. To serve it, I boil new potatoes and crush them with a fork in the bottom of the serving bowl, place the short ribs on the potatoes and ladle the gravy over that . I have some crusty French bread to clean the bowl.
YUM! Short Ribs!

What goes into French style ribs?

Definitely one of my favorite cuts of meat when the temps go down.

I guess I'm making them Irish style since I do like them braised in Guinness.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:13 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,899,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
YUM! Short Ribs!

What goes into French style ribs?...
Three-four pounds of short ribs
Three cups red wine
Two cups chicken stock (only use beef stock if you make it yourself or you find a brand you like)
Two medium yellow onions (chopped)
Four cloves garlic (minced)
Three ribs of celery
Three medium carrots
Several sprigs of FRESH thyme (don't use that dried stuff - it tastes like diesel fuel)
Two bay leaves
One pound sliced mushrooms
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tablespoons flour
Some cooking oil
Salt/pepper to taste

Some of you may like to add some oregano and/or rosemary (I add a bit of each when I do this recipe with chicken).

Brown the short ribs in hot oil then place ribs in crock pot.
Saute the chopped onions, sliced carrots, garlic, and sliced celery in the pan you browned the ribs and cook until the onions are tender.
Add flour and tomato paste to the vegetable mix and stir to incorporate.
Add some of the wine to the vegetable mix to deglaze the pan.
Pour the vegetable mix over the ribs in the crockpot.
Add the remaining wine and chicken stock to the crockpot.
Add thyme and bay leaves to the crockpot.
Brown the mushroom slices in hot oil then add them to the crockpot.
Set the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.

You're going to love the aroma of this stuff cooking - you can also substitute other cuts of beef that benefit from low-and-slow cooking (it's even great with chicken leg quarters).

Serve the ribs and gravy in a bowl, over boiled new potatoes that have been crushed in the bowl with a fork - and don't forget some crusty bread.

I don't measure when I cook, but I think the amounts are pretty close to how I cook this.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 10-24-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 05:38 AM

3,228 posts, read 2,854,021 times
Mmmm... me! I want to try making new soups this year - I want to try making cream soups. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for making a cream based soup?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Default Give a soup recipe, Take a soup recipe

Tis the season to warm our bellies with soothing soups. If you have a tried and true soup, share it. If you need a new soup recipe, take one. If the recipe has a history, share it.

I'll start. This from an old friend, Shelley, back in the 90s, when the PTO moms were getting together every so often for soup luncheons.

CHEESEBURGER SOUP

1/2 # ground beef
3/4 cup each Chopped onion, diced celery, shredded carrots
4 T. butter
4 cups diced potatoes
1 T. dried basil
1 T. dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
8 oz. American cheese (2 cups)
1/4 cup sour cream

Brown ground beef and remove from pan. Add butter to pan and sauté onion, carrots and celery until tender. Add herbs, broth, potatoes and meat, and cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until veggies are tender. Mix flour with milk until smooth, add to soup and stir until thickened, add salt, pepper, and cheese. When cheese is melted, remove from heat, stir in sour cream. Serve.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
With hail last night and snow forecasted today... going to make Kickin' Crab soup. I tweak it just a bit for our taste, but this is the one I start with.

Cajun Crab Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-01-2014, 12:23 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
With hail last night and snow forecasted today... going to make Kickin' Crab soup. I tweak it just a bit for our taste, but this is the one I start with.

We certainly haven't had any snow or forecast of any; in fact we rarely get it before Christmas, but we did have a heavy frost last night. Yep, the crock pot will see more use from now until April. It is also the time of year I make a lot of my chicken, pork and whatever stock or as someone said about a year ago: not stock, but broth: whatever. It is that time of the year.

Dirt Grinder: I love ribs, either pork shoulder or short ribs braised. I just have one problem: it still irks me they are so expensive. When we were growing up; well me anyway they were the bargain part of the meat. Short ribs, brisket, etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:17 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,854,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

Mmmm, I'll have to try that!

Nan used to make escarole soup or Italian Wedding soup!

1 head (about 1 pound) of escarole, washed well and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
3 cracked eggs, scrambled... to soak the escarole.
about 1 cup coarsely grated Locatelli cheese

In a pot, add the broth and some cheese. Add the escarole mixed in the eggs and cheese and simmer the soup. Ladle the soup into soup plates, top it with locatelli.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,919,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Mmmm, I'll have to try that!

Nan used to make escarole soup or Italian Wedding soup!

1 head (about 1 pound) of escarole, washed well and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
3 cracked eggs, scrambled... to soak the escarole.
about 1 cup coarsely grated Locatelli cheese

In a pot, add the broth and some cheese. Add the escarole mixed in the eggs and cheese and simmer the soup. Ladle the soup into soup plates, top it with locatelli.
I love locatelli, it's the only "parm" I will use. Will try this recipe. Another favorite I like is Zuppa Toscano. Kale and spicy sausage soup. And I have used escarole in place of kale so I know yours will be really good too! Thanks for sharing.

Here's the kale and sausage one: I use red potatoes with this as I prefer that over russets. But feel free to use whatever potato.

Spicy Sausage, Potato & Kale Soup - The Candid Appetite

Old 11-01-2014, 04:18 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,929,831 times
Today I made lentil soup with ham in the crockpot

1 bag of lentils
1 cup diced smoked ham and the bone ( I had leftovers from a smoked ham with the bone)
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 cups chicken broth ( I did not have any so I used water)

place all ingredients in crockpot and set on high 3-4 hours.. Check water levels and add as needed. I decided to make mine thicker so I pureed some at the end and left the rest chunky. I do not add salt because the ham is salty enough. I never made this soup with ham and I also never made it thick. I tasted it and it was very good. I wanted a similar texture like split pea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or