U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:02 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,363,013 times

Advertisements

I love soups and stews,so that is another reason that the cooler weather of fall is my favorite season of all.

What are some of your favorite soup/stew recipes. Of course chili is a favorite too,but for decades I have stuck with the original Frenchs Chili-O Seasoning mix, as it is our favorite chili,even my mom used it when I was a kid.

Old Fashioned Chicken and Drop Dumplings A classic southern comfort dish made of stewed chicken with fluffy[the type I prefer] drop dumplings.
Ingredients

Drop Dumplings:

3 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
1-1/2 cups of self rising flour
1/2 tablespoon of dried chives, or 1 tablespoon of fresh snipped chives
3/4 cups of milk

Stewed Chicken:

1 small hen, whole chicken or a mixture of other chicken parts
1 large stalk of celery, sliced thin
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped, optional
5-1/2 cups of reserved chicken stock
1 tablespoon of chicken base (like Better Than Bouillon), optional
Pinch of kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
Pinch of rosemary, crushed
Pinch of dried thyme, crushed
3 tablespoons of bacon fat or butter
3 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of milk or half and half
1/2 cup of frozen peas, optional

Instructions

Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the flour until it is mealy; add chives. Set aside in the refrigerator to chill until needed.

In a large wide pot, add the chicken and top with celery, onion, carrots, chicken stock, chicken base, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Stir to mix well. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook about 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Strain the stock into another container if desired, returning the broth back to the pot. Cut up the larger chunks of chicken and cut up, returning them to the broth.

Now we're gonna make a very blond roux. In a separate pan, heat the bacon fat over medium high heat until melted. Whisk in the 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly and smooth. Remove from the heat. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the broth from the chicken pot and slowly add to the roux - be careful because it will steam up right away and can easily burn you. Immediately turn the burner down to a medium low simmer and return the pot to the burner; add additional broth, 1/2 cup at a time for a total of 2 cups, stirring constantly until the liquid has been fully incorporated. Add 1/2 cup of milk to roux and blend in.

Add the peas, if using, and the roux mixture into the hot stock, stirring in well. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Retrieve the flour and chive mixture from the fridge, stir in 3/4 cup of milk. Using a cookie scoop, drop scoops of dough into the simmering liquid until all of the dumpling dough has been added. Cover immediately, so that the dumplings begin to steam; simmer on low about 10 minutes before checking. When they are fluffy, insert a toothpick to see if they are done. If not, allow to low simmer until done, without disturbing the dumplings. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Carefully scoop broth and a few dumplings into individual serving bowls.

Crockpot Lasagna Soup

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
7 hours
Total time
7 hours 10 mins

Serves: 6-8
Ingredients

1 lb ground beef (or vegetarian crumble)
3 cups of beef broth (or vegetable broth to make vegetarian)
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 TB dried parsley
1 TB dried basil
½ cup chopped onion
1, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1, 6oz can of tomato paste
1 cup V8 (or any vegetable drink)
2 cups uncooked shell pasta
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 cup of water
Optional topping- shredded cheese

Instructions

You do NOT have to brown the beef before putting into the crock pot.If you are using a higher fat ground beef (like an 80/20) you might want to precook to drain off some of the fat. But if you don’t mind the extra fat…that isn’t even necessary, just a suggestion.
First mix together the can of tomatoes, and tomato paste in crockpot.
Next add broth, beef, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, V8 and salt/pepper.
Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
When 30 minutes are left of cooking time, add in the 1 cup of water and noodles. Stir to combine. Put lid back on and continue cooking for 30 minutes.

Mushroom-Spinach Cream Soup
Prep time:25 minutes!

Ingredients

1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
2 small onions, chopped
6 tablespoons butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
4 cups milk
1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

Directions

In a large saucepan, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in spinach. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,917,397 times
It's been cooler and dreary lately and I made split pea soup yesterday. While eating it, my family asked what other soups do I have in store for them as they are excited for soup weather. lol

The split pea soup was really good. I threw in the crock pot, bag of rinsed split peas, ham bone leftover from a baked ham. I then chopped up an onion, 3 carrots, 2 celery, 4 cloves of garlic and threw it in the pot. Covered it with chicken stock. (2 boxes) and then a few bay leaves. Set it to cook on low for 5 hours. I checked on it and removed the ham bone to pick off remaining meat. I added a splash of Apple cider vinegar to perk up the flavors, salt/peppered it to taste and threw back in the ham meat salvaged from the bone.

So delicious. I served it with jalopeno cheddar biscuits. (copycat recipe to Waffle House jalopeno biscuits)

Another favorite is cream of mushroom soup. I use this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ns-recipe.html

Only difference is that I don't use cream and replace half of the butter with a good olive oil. I use a creamline fat free milk that's been stirred with a couple of tsp of cornstarch. For us it's a matter of calories/cholesterol. I am sure it's best with heavy cream but it's still creamy good with the milk I use. I also have swapped out the brandy for sherry.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:48 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,229,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I love soups and stews,so that is another reason that the cooler weather of fall is my favorite season of all.

What are some of your favorite soup/stew recipes.
Quote:
Crockpot Lasagna Soup
Quote:
Mushroom-Spinach Cream Soup
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
cream of mushroom soup.
Thanks, you two. I'll save these for when it gets cool here in December or January.
(10:30 AM - it's 97 degrees, LOL)

I know I've posted it before -
My favorite is "Baja Buzzard Chili" - it uses up frozen left-over turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. I usually make it for New Year's Eve ...

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper -- (1/2 to 1)
1/2 cup chopped onion -- (1/2 to 1)
2 cloves garlic -- minced
28 ounces stewed tomatoes -- not drained
3 to 4 cups turkey -- cooked and cubed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cilantro (or 1 teaspoon coriander)
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper -- or more
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco-type hot sauce -- or more
14 ounce to 28 ounces black beans -- drained and rinsed (I use Eden black soy beans because of carbs)
Optional:
14 ounces corn -- rinsed and drained
4 to 7 ounce can of chopped green Ortega chilis

Oil or spray the crockpot. Throw it all in a crockpot, give it a stir, and cook on low for a minimum of 4 hours, maximum 8 hours. My crockpot is an oldie, it doesn't cook real hot like the newer ones. Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped white onion or green onion, jalapenos, etc.
It's a very forgiving recipe you can play with, little of this, little of that.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Thanks, you two. I'll save these for when it gets cool here in December or January.
(10:30 AM - it's 97 degrees, LOL)

If that's Florida weather, that's one thing I don't miss from there. I much prefer my mild seasons up here, and ACTUAL seasons. lol

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
It is always soup and stew season in our home and just last week I put 16 quarts of vegetable beef barley soup in the freezer.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,498,280 times
OMG. I'd rather have a root canal than tackle some of those recipes just for soup

Old 09-25-2014, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
My hubby made vegetable beef soup yesterday, and we'll eat it for days! He ground a beef roast, jalapeno deer sausage, a lb of bacon, 2 big onions, and 6 bulbs of garlic and braised/cooked that separate. He cooked cubed potatoes separate. Then he put it all together with cans of veggies including the juice: green beans, LeSeur English peas, whole kernel corn, chopped tomatoes and rotel tomatoes, and mushrooms. Salt and pepper and any other spices you like. It's so easy and so delicious. It's even better the 2nd or 3rd day. Crackers, cornbread or jalapeno cornbread with it. Yum!! And, it's great with or without the deer sausage.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:37 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,373,226 times
Yum…my stepdaughter is sick. I will be making Pasta Fagioli for her tomorrow

1 cup ditalini pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Small pack of chopped frozen spinach
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
Stir in garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Whisk in chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, 1 cup water, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.

Stir in pasta and beans until heated through.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:25 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,363,013 times
Everything sounds delicious!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Today I am making the mushroom soup after so many dreary days (anyone see the sun lately? Been about 3 days since I have seen MINE... ) I was going to make sandwiches with it but the family wants burgers. So I am going to make shallot/cheese burgers with garlicky toasted buns to pair with the soup. And they will be slider size as it's a very hearty meal I think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or