U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM

3,598 posts, read 2,408,694 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a meat grinder/sausage stuffer and want to start making my own link sausage. Looking for any ideas/tips/recipes anyone can share. Up to now I have made only "bulk" sausage mainly Chorizo and Breakfast sausage. I want to try to make Polish / Andouille / Italian Style sausage. This is the apparatus I ordered. It was the top seller and had the highest ratings (for the money) as far as the meat grinder portion but I don't know how well the sausage making part of it will work.

Amazon.com: STX INTERNATIONAL STX-3000-TF Turboforce 3-Speed Electric Meat Grinder with 3 Cutting Blades, 3 Grinding Plates, Kubbe Attachment and Sausage Stuffing Tubes: Kitchen & Dining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,653,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I just ordered a meat grinder/sausage stuffer and want to start making my own link sausage. Looking for any ideas/tips/recipes anyone can share. Up to now I have made only "bulk" sausage mainly Chorizo and Breakfast sausage. I want to try to make Polish / Andouille / Italian Style sausage. This is the apparatus I ordered. It was the top seller and had the highest ratings (for the money) as far as the meat grinder portion but I don't know how well the sausage making part of it will work.

Amazon.com: STX INTERNATIONAL STX-3000-TF Turboforce 3-Speed Electric Meat Grinder with 3 Cutting Blades, 3 Grinding Plates, Kubbe Attachment and Sausage Stuffing Tubes: Kitchen & Dining
I have that very grinder. I also purchased it off of Amazon. Instead of paying $65/each for deer to be processed, I figured I'd buy that and do it myself. I ground up 3 deer last year with it and just did one last week. Great grinder. Been very pleased with it. I have not used any of the sausage attachments, though.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:31 PM

18,380 posts, read 23,576,689 times
I have that grinder too- they are on ebay for 80-100 dollars

ive bought 15 of these grinders and give them away for gifts

I have made sausage from them also

if you want flavorful pork sausage by pork butts (boneless) and cut it in pieces- these little grinders are powerful (but also very loud)
anyways- grind thru the pork butt once, then mix in the spices,,, by hand,,,

remove grinder head, remove plate and knife - put on the sausage horn,,,,

if you have the hanks (casings) soak them in water spread one end and dip in the cool water and let the water go down into the casing,,,,,,then put the casing on the horn,,,some guys are naturals at this....you need the water for friction,,,without it,,the casing can easily break

its good if two people are doing this- more hands

and that's about it

make chicken, venison ,,,and any other sausage about the same

if you have different "plates" then use the sausage plate (larger holes than the regular grinder plate)

ive been a butcher for over 30 yrs, and made hundreds of thousands of lbs of sausage

order sausage seasonings on line legg's old plantation is a favorite

if you do make wild game sausage - you can still mix pork butt or fatty ground beef stock with the wild game for added flavor-

Old 09-26-2014, 12:37 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,190,949 times
Grinding meat is really the only way to go. The advice I have is:

- Chill the meat so it's almost frozen before grinding it.
- You should never buy ground beef for burgers again. Get some chuck and mix in short rib, sirloin, or brisket with a lot of fat to make some nice burgers.
- Use the best spices you can find for sausages
- Buy this book, and this book.
- Always make sure the sausage casing isn't tangled up, and make sure your cutting blade on the grinder is sharp.

Last but not least, here's a recipe for Merguez:

2 Lb. leg of Lamb
1/2 Lb bacon (or other fatty smoked pork)
2 Tbls coarse salt

Grind all that.

Mix into the ground meat:
- 6 cloves roasted garlic (chopped)
- 1 roasted pepper (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Tbls red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin

Stuff that into sausages.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM

3,598 posts, read 2,408,694 times
Thanks for the info guys. I will keep reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I have that grinder too- they are on ebay for 80-100 dollars
I'm afraid they are not that cheap, at least not that model. I bid on a few before I won one with a bid of $135 plus the $14.80 shipping or about $150 total. I looked everywhere. You may be able to find a cheaper one used but new that is about the best price, even direct from the mercantile station it is $160. They do make a model with a fan for about $30-40 more.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:16 AM

19,950 posts, read 13,653,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I will keep reading.

I'm afraid they are not that cheap, at least not that model. I bid on a few before I won one with a bid of $135 plus the $14.80 shipping or about $150 total. I looked everywhere. You may be able to find a cheaper one used but new that is about the best price, even direct from the mercantile station it is $160. They do make a model with a fan for about $30-40 more.
Actually, I checked out the company website before buying the one I did. One draw for me was that they were based out of Lincoln, NE. I'm about 90 minutes from Lincoln. I like the idea of being able to load it into the car and drive to Lincoln to get help if I need to. From what I saw of them, they seem to be a decent company that stands behind their products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or