Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Deep frying a turkey is an adventure. It is something that should be done in the yard or driveway as it can be a dangerous mess. Our firefighter pal told us they can always count on a call during the holidays to put out a deck fire. You should practice placing the turkey in water first to make sure on the exact amount of oil. If you dont, your oil could over flow into the fire and look out- Me, I'm with Nigella, go for the brine.
Good advice, but before you put your turkey into 350°F oil make absolutely certain the turkey is dry! Hot oil and water is not a good combination.

Also, since the turkey cooks so quickly, it is also advisable not to leave it unattended. You want to use just enough oil to cover the turkey by 3 or 4 inches. It will take approximately 30 to 35 minutes in the hot oil before the turkey begins to float, then just give it another 10 minutes in the hot oil after that point. Very carefully remove the turkey and let it drain completely before bringing it into the house. You should let the turkey rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving the bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
This is the best baked turkey recipe I have ever seen! My mother uses it and so do most of my relatives and friends now!

Wash turkey, remove neck, liver etc... and pat dry. Rub butter all over, inside and out. Season inside and out with whatever you like - I use garlic salt, onion salt, lemon pepper, cavender's greek seasoning - I use the salt free. Stuff inside of turkey with garlic cloves and big hunks of onion until full.

Place turkey BREAST SIDE DOWN into 500 degree oven for one hour. Turn oven down to 200. Bake approximately eight hours or so. The recipe states you can actually turn the oven completely off, but I am chicken!

THREATEN TO KILL ANYONE IF THEY OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!!!!!!!!

I usually put the turkey in about midnight so it is ready when I get up.

This will not be a turkey you can carve! It will be falling to pieces.

Oh, be sure to cook the turkey breast-side down AND AGAIN THREATEN TO KILL ANYONE WHO OPENS THE OVEN DOOR!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
My mother always cooked her turkey all night long. We'd wake up in the middle of the night, smelling turkey and dying for dinner! It got to the point, though, that she would put it in WAY too early and we'd have leather turkey for dinner. Thank goodness for gravy!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
It really does make for a moist turkey! If it is done a little too early for everyone, we just debone it and place the meat in large pyrex along with the good juices! Pop in the microwave and heat right before dinner. It is so moist and juicy!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,868 times
I use cheesecloth on my turkey soaked in butter..mmm mmm good...it makes a very moist breast

Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,766 times
I do a little different than Nigela.

I make 4 cups of marinade with the spices, then I filter the marinade and inject the turkey with all the liquid. I live it covered over night in a cold place.
Then I roast it for about 4 hours, 3 hours covered and one without.

Very juicy and tenter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes