U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM

19,658 posts, read 18,723,211 times

Advertisements

I am submitting some recipes for a little cookbook that will be produced locally. One recipe that my mother left behind has me stumped though.

It's called Chocolate Chip Meringues and they are really yummy yet light and only made with the white of the egg. The problem is, I have her list of ingredients but I never wrote down the actual instructions and now it's been so long since I've made them that I can't remember how.

Here are the ingredients:

2 egg whites, 1 tsp. cream of tartar, 1/8 tsp. of salt, 3/4 cups sugar, 1 tsp. of vanilla, chocolate chips.

So I remember that you beat the egg whites until they stood up in peaks. BUT do you beat the egg whites by themselves or with the cream of tartar? or with everything? or some combination thereof?

(Since these are so delicious, here's the rest of the instructions--you drop them from a spoon onto brown paper on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 for 25 minutes. They come out hollow and light yet chewy.)

TIA

Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,196,060 times
Tartar added after.

If it's like my recipe (mine doesn't have salt) ...

Mine were called Forgotten Cookies, because you "forget" them in the oven, LOL
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Make sure egg whites are room temp.
Beat egg whites until foamy.
Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.)
Add the sugar gradually. When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla.
Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight.
Gently fold in the chips and nuts.
Plop a teaspoonful of meringue onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Don't touch with your fingers.
Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off.
Leave the cookies in the oven for at least 2 hours (Do NOT open) and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Tartar added after.

If it's like my recipe (mine doesn't have salt) ...

Mine were called Forgotten Cookies, because you "forget" them in the oven, LOL
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Make sure egg whites are room temp.
Beat egg whites until foamy.
Add the cream of tartar and beat until fluffy but not at all dry. (Be careful not to over beat.)
Add the sugar gradually. When 1/2 of the sugar has been added, add the vanilla.
Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is very shiny and tight.
Gently fold in the chips and nuts.
Plop a teaspoonful of meringue onto the lined baking sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Don't touch with your fingers.
Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off.
Leave the cookies in the oven for at least 2 hours (Do NOT open) and up to overnight, or until cookies are crisp and dry.
Thank you! Your directions are so detailed that it makes me think I should experiment with the cookies before sending the recipe in. I thought you should beat the egg whites until they stood up in peaks but your recipe says "until foamy." At least I know when to add the cream of tartar. I never understand recipes that need cream of tartar anyway, lol.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,196,060 times
I used to make these for my exchange students.
For St Patrick's Day, I added green food coloring.

I was a weird Mom

Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I used to make these for my exchange students.
For St Patrick's Day, I added green food coloring.

I was a weird Mom
Green cookies? Actually, I'm just joking; that was a cute thing to do.

As I remember, the cookies were hollow. We kids used to shake them to get the chocolate chips to rattle around.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 567 times
IF whipping egg whites...you add cream of tartar to the egg whites as you beat them.To they Hold peaks..this helps hold the egg whites as you fold in the other Ingredients To the egg whites. If you do it to just frothy you will end up with cookies that are flat. The way your mom did it, the cookies rise up plumply with an almost hollow center. Try that way. I am sorry if this reply arrived Late to you i was searching this site on my smart phone, where i saw your question.

How did your cookbook turn out? I collect cookbooks, where can i buy a copy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or