Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:53 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times

Advertisements

This soup is awesome as-is, but I've been eating it the same for years and years. How would you improve this recipe if you were to modify? It comes out pretty thick, almost stew-like.
  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 5 c Water
  • 1 lb can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 c chopped onions
  • 2-3 sliced carrots
  • 2 ribs diced celery
  • 1/3 c pearly barley
  • 1/4 c ketchup
  • 1 tbsp beef bouillon granules
  • 1 tsp basil leaves
  • 1 bay leaf

1. Brown ground beef in fry pan, drain fat.
  2. Add ground beef and remaining ingredients into a dutch oven pan.
  3. Bring mixture to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat to simmer.
  5. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
  6. Remove bay leaf and taste soup, adding salt and pepper if desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Sounds good as is, but maybe adding a little pasta would work ! And we prefer concentrated beef bouillon to the granules, it gives a much beefier taste.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times
Ketchup? That's interesting! Maybe more veggies and some noodles? It could be like a vegetable soup (nan used to make her veggie soup with beef broth)!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Ketchup? That's interesting! Maybe more veggies and some noodles? It could be like a vegetable soup (nan used to make her veggie soup with beef broth)!
Yeah, the funny thing is that you can't taste ketchup at all when you eat it. If I didn't know there was 1/4 cup ketchup in there I wouldn't guess that at all. I think it just livens the flavor of the tomatoes up a bit.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
I would ditch the ketchup and ad salt, pepper and garlic. Maybe throw in some Siracha sauce for kick instead. Chunks of cabbage. How about some water chestnuts for crunch? Cubed potatoes, and beef roast instead of ground beef.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
I've never heard of ground beef in soup, Chili yes but not soup. I suppose it would be OK. I would prefer stew meat or make to meatballs out of the ground meat. Sear them in a pan and then add to the soup. Also you can use packaged beef broth (carton or can) instead of granules or cubes.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
I'm making soup tonight with beef stew meat, beef broth, canned tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots, red potatoes, turnips, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and ditalini. I usually add cabbage, but I forgot to ask my son to get some when he went to the store yesterday.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Leave-out the bouillion.

Add several sprigs of fresh thyme,
four cloves of garlic,
two tablespoons of tomato paste instead of the ketchup,
one tablespoon worcestershire sauce,
add fresh sliced mushrooms (8oz - 16oz),
two cups of red wine and three cups of chicken or beef broth instead of water.

Cook on low for three-four hours.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:47 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Oh... my... gosh! It's this recipe: Retro Recipes: Autumn Soup Recipe by Betty Crocker

I used to have those cards and make that soup. Each pack of cards came with a letter which explained why the recipes were included in the group. This one represented the late summer harvest, the colors of autumn.

While this doesn't address your question, I'd kick up the color of that soup with something yellow like corn, bell pepper or even a small summer squash. Throw in some flat leaf parsley, spinach or another leafy green.

I'd use more dried herbs, too. Rosemary, basil, marjoram--or all of them--would be good choices. Dried basil doesn't have a lot of flavor.

How about a splash of red wine or one clove of garlic? I'd just crack and peel the garlic, add it to the beef while it's browning, remove it from the soup with the bay leaf. I'm sure the ketchup adds a nice little kick to the broth. If you didn't use that, I'd suggest a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I would always fry the onion with the meat, it gives the onions another depth of flavor and also flavors the met.

And add Mushrooms chopped to the frying meat and onion.

When meat is almost done add crushed fresh garlic to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes