U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2014, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007

Advertisements

What can I do to improve the basic patty made from canned salmon? I hadn't made them in a long time and they tasted salty* and just OK to me.

I used:
canned salmon
egg
breadcrumbs
minced onion
chopped cilantro
pepper
something else I can't remember right now

I meant to add some lemon juice and forgot.

I looked at some recipes online today and there was a wild assortment of things that people throw into salmon patties.

*I didn't use the liquid from the can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,915 posts, read 4,077,240 times
Reputation: 15540
I would do the following:

In place of salmon, use ground beef. Add some salt, pepper, garlic, and minced onion. Throw on a grill to desired doneness. Add a slice of favorite cheese, and slide onto a toasted, buttered bun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I would do the following:

In place of salmon, use ground beef. Add some salt, pepper, garlic, and minced onion. Throw on a grill to desired doneness. Add a slice of favorite cheese, and slide onto a toasted, buttered bun.
LOL. I love a good cheeseburger, but I was trying to use up most of a can of salmon. I used a little bit for some salmon salad to make half a sandwich and wanted to do something with the rest of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
 
2,842 posts, read 4,166,244 times
Reputation: 6890
Not sure why yours were only o.k. but this is what I do:

add Worcestershire sauce
use crumbled crackers (Saltines) instead of bread crumbs
I like the small cans of salmon instead of the big cans (don't like the skin, bones, etc. in the big cans) and I drain the salmon well.
lots of chopped onion, one or two eggs, salt and pepper

I like to brown mine well on both sides and then let them cook for awhile. (Maybe its me but some recipes say brown on both sides and they are ready - I like them more done).

Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon and Heinz 57 or tartar sauce (I make mine with mayo, lemon juice and chopped dill pickle w/a little juice).

Thanks for the post - I am looking forward to making these soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,873 posts, read 54,582,197 times
Reputation: 31260
I use leftover (or fresh made/cooled) mashed potatoes as the base, add egg, salmon and the other ingredients (I like green onion and parsley) then shape, refrigerate 20 minutes+ then press on breadcrumbs and fry. Also worked with leftover cod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Lone Star State to Peach State
3,852 posts, read 3,523,916 times
Reputation: 6981
I like to use ritz crackers, and a bit of mayo for moistness..but not too much moisture to the texture...I also use bay seasoning and fry the **** outside in my wok...
Can't stand how the house smells after frying these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 PM
 
Location: SC
2,967 posts, read 4,196,079 times
Reputation: 6836
Try Costco salmon patties if you ever have the chance. Great ingredients and great flavor when backed covered, seasoned with Old Bay and in butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Not sure why yours were only o.k. but this is what I do:

add Worcestershire sauce
use crumbled crackers (Saltines) instead of bread crumbs
I like the small cans of salmon instead of the big cans (don't like the skin, bones, etc. in the big cans) and I drain the salmon well.
lots of chopped onion, one or two eggs, salt and pepper

I like to brown mine well on both sides and then let them cook for awhile. (Maybe its me but some recipes say brown on both sides and they are ready - I like them more done).

Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon and Heinz 57 or tartar sauce (I make mine with mayo, lemon juice and chopped dill pickle w/a little juice).

Thanks for the post - I am looking forward to making these soon!
I probably could have used a little Worcestershire--I was thinking about it-- but I'd never done that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I use leftover (or fresh made/cooled) mashed potatoes as the base, add egg, salmon and the other ingredients (I like green onion and parsley) then shape, refrigerate 20 minutes+ then press on breadcrumbs and fry. Also worked with leftover cod.
Is this why some of the recipes I read today used finely chopped/diced cooked potatoes? Diced potatoes aren't a binder, but add a little bulk. Some recipes used beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I like to use ritz crackers, and a bit of mayo for moistness..but not too much moisture to the texture...I also use bay seasoning and fry the **** outside in my wok...
Can't stand how the house smells after frying these.
I read a lot of recipes today which used mayo. I might try that. I don't mind the smell of the salmon patties frying, though I do have a good vent fan.

I'm not sure what's in Old Bay, but I can't stand the smell of it, let alone use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top