Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:56 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,087,857 times

Advertisements

My only problem with Venison is one deer doesn't go very far, and that is all you can get during hunting season where I live. People do seem to frown on shooting a deer out of season here, but my relatives who live to the South of us own a large ranch, and I'm sure they have venison when ever they want it. We have deer in our back yard all the time and if I was to shoot one, no one would know it because our whole back yard is surrounded by wooden fences. But I would know it and my wife would know it, and she would be very unhappy with me if I killed one of these deer that are almost like pets. Both of us have pioneer hunting and fishing licences that are free every year, but we do have to pay for tags. Yeah, I hear you, boo hoo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,809,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
My only problem with Venison is one deer doesn't go very far, and that is all you can get during hunting season where I live. People do seem to frown on shooting a deer out of season here, but my relatives who live to the South of us own a large ranch, and I'm sure they have venison when ever they want it. We have deer in our back yard all the time and if I was to shoot one, no one would know it because our whole back yard is surrounded by wooden fences. But I would know it and my wife would know it, and she would be very unhappy with me if I killed one of these deer that are almost like pets. Both of us have pioneer hunting and fishing licences that are free every year, but we do have to pay for tags. Yeah, I hear you, boo hoo...
Poaching is a no no but. We hear shot during bow season that infuriates my husband....here you can get a few during the season in fact he got another yesterday...it's a long season in Tennessee from late Oct thru January 4 I believe....I also had a hard time time with all the ones in our yard and didnt like the idea that one of them may end up on the dinner table...he would never kill one out of season....just wrong...you can check your deer in online here.free....they seem to be really not concerned...In Michigan you had to get a tag and the DNR are EVERYWHERE....they don't mess around there!!! Making a meat loaf tonight..hope it's good!!!!!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,809,200 times
Threw a few pieces of cubed venison..a can of cream of onion soup and a 16 oz jar of my home canned tomatoes..sliced onions and a 1/3 c of beer in the crock pot.... It turned out really good...

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,087,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Threw a few pieces of cubed venison..a can of cream of onion soup and a 16 oz jar of my home canned tomatoes..sliced onions and a 1/3 c of beer in the crock pot.... It turned out really good...
It sounds good. Cream of onion soup, and cream of mushroom soup are used in quite a few of the crock pot recipes I have. My wife made a similar thing in the crock pot on Friday night, she used beef, mushroom soup, a bit of brown gravy mix, and made a rue with the dripping off the meat. She put it over rice. and Saturday night (while she was out of town) I put it over a baked potato. Yum!

Speaking of killing deer, one of our friends who lives in California and has a Summer home here called my son to work on his security system. When my son arrived, the home owner was in the back yard gutting out a deer he had just shot. Out of season, no hunting license, and not concerned about getting caught apparently. He made the statement, I'm getting tired of these deer eating my grass and pooping on my lawn. This is the fifth deer he has killed out of season that we know of, and his house is located in the city limits, and none of his neighbors pays any attention to what he is doing.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:42 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,250,271 times
Can you get the butcher (or the hunter providing the butchered meat) to branch out a little?

Every year we allow an Amish bow hunter to hunt on our land, and in exchange we get some venison. We always get some chopped steak, but in addition he brings us venison scrapple, venison sausage (looks and tastes like summer sausage from Hickory Farms -- except lots better) and venison bologna, which is a dead ringer for lebanon bologna, one of my very favorite lunch meats.

I have to say, ground venison is my least favorite use of deer meat. I use it for chili, but it's just not as good as ground beef, presumably because there's not enough fat to add flavor.

Our Amish hunter has downed three does already this season, and we're rooting for him to get several more. We live on 2.5 acres and some days we see a herd of 17 deer. That's just way more than the area's foliage can support.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,093,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Can you get the butcher (or the hunter providing the butchered meat) to branch out a little?

Every year we allow an Amish bow hunter to hunt on our land, and in exchange we get some venison. We always get some chopped steak, but in addition he brings us venison scrapple, venison sausage (looks and tastes like summer sausage from Hickory Farms -- except lots better) and venison bologna, which is a dead ringer for lebanon bologna, one of my very favorite lunch meats.

I have to say, ground venison is my least favorite use of deer meat. I use it for chili, but it's just not as good as ground beef, presumably because there's not enough fat to add flavor.

Our Amish hunter has downed three does already this season, and we're rooting for him to get several more. We live on 2.5 acres and some days we see a herd of 17 deer. That's just way more than the area's foliage can support.
That's pretty cool. I'm always looking for places to shoot deer, and it's good that he shares with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes