U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 PM
 
Location: California
4,536 posts, read 5,445,760 times
Reputation: 9561

Advertisements

I love walnut oil and enjoy it in vinegar dressing instead of olive oil.

How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2014, 04:24 PM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
Reputation: 7950
Never used it actually. Is it nutty in flavor?

I would imagine I would treat it as if it was sesame oil. Just use it as a finishing touch. Probably in pesto? Or toss with pasta and parm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Middle America
36,494 posts, read 41,708,164 times
Reputation: 50210
Fantastic drizzled on greens with balsamic vinegar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 40,032,342 times
Reputation: 62030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I love walnut oil and enjoy it in vinegar dressing instead of olive oil.

How do you like it?

eh, I've only used it in Pizzelles and I'm not a fan but I have read so many ratings for different dishes that rave about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,114 posts, read 70,000,298 times
Reputation: 75906
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Never used it actually. Is it nutty in flavor?

I would imagine I would treat it as if it was sesame oil. Just use it as a finishing touch. Probably in pesto? Or toss with pasta and parm?
It has a subtle, nutty flavor. It's great as an occasional alternative to olive oil as salad dressing, especially with toasted chopped walnuts added to the salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
 
Location: California
4,536 posts, read 5,445,760 times
Reputation: 9561
Whole Foods (Paycheck) carries it now, along with Avacado and Hazelnut oil. Yes, it has great flavor and plan to use it in an Apple Salad I'm taking with me Thanksgiving Day. Since I won't use the entire can I was looking for more ideas. I know it isn't a good idea to fry with it as the flavor is so delicate that it will be destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Middle America
36,494 posts, read 41,708,164 times
Reputation: 50210
Nut oils are really never recommended to be used for frying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,545 posts, read 10,858,753 times
Reputation: 19125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nut oils are really never recommended to be used for frying.
Roasted walnut oil doesn't have too low a smoke point. I'm planning some experiments that will incorporate measuring the temperature of the cooking surface. I'll be making my year's supply of marinara sauce soon and would like to use it to replace olive oil.

I use roasted wanut oil in pesto sauce and fettucini. I also use it when making hummus and baba ganoush. It beats olive oil. I tried it in waffles. The waffles are the best I've ever eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
 
Location: California
4,536 posts, read 5,445,760 times
Reputation: 9561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Roasted walnut oil doesn't have too low a smoke point. I'm planning some experiments that will incorporate measuring the temperature of the cooking surface. I'll be making my year's supply of marinara sauce soon and would like to use it to replace olive oil.

I use roasted wanut oil in pesto sauce and fettucini. I also use it when making hummus and baba ganoush. It beats olive oil. I tried it in waffles. The waffles are the best I've ever eaten.
I'm on my way to your house for Thanksgiving!

Does the heat destroy the walnut flavor as the waffles cook?

I drizzled it over quinoa mixed with chopped green onions, cranberries, and walnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,545 posts, read 10,858,753 times
Reputation: 19125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I'm on my way to your house for Thanksgiving!

Does the heat destroy the walnut flavor as the waffles cook?

I drizzled it over quinoa mixed with chopped green onions, cranberries, and walnuts.
It's not quite a walnut flavor; it's difficult to describe. Try it. Now, a walnut puree add to the waffles using walnut oil would have the flavor. I had some purse-shaped pasta stuffed with walnut puree and other things at a restaurant in Madison, Wisconsin; it was superb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top