U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 04:37 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,411,412 times

Advertisements

I make a cornbread/sausage dressing. I have no idea if they love it or hate it. They get what they get! They always eat it so I guess they like it well enough!

=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,145,754 times
Mine is very simple. It was my mom's and if I deviate from it at all, I get complaints. Lord knows, I have tried. Corn bread. Chestnuts. Oysters. They won't have it.

So...this is it. One bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
One cup each of finely minced celery, carrot and onions.
Two cups of rich vegetable broth - usually my own, but Amy's or
Swanson will do.
1 stick butter

Saute the veggies in butter in a Dutch oven or other heavy saucepan
Add broth.
toss bread crumb mixture with veggies and broth and butter mixture
Bake in oven at 350 until the top is crispy.

Variations - add pecans, dried cranberries, or mushrooms.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:05 PM

44,448 posts, read 35,909,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Mine is very simple. It was my mom's and if I deviate from it at all, I get complaints. Lord knows, I have tried. Corn bread. Chestnuts. Oysters. They won't have it.

So...this is it. One bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
One cup each of finely minced celery, carrot and onions.
Two cups of rich vegetable broth - usually my own, but Amy's or
Swanson will do.
1 stick butter

Saute the veggies in butter in a Dutch oven or other heavy saucepan
Add broth.
toss bread crumb mixture with veggies and broth and butter mixture
Bake in oven at 350 until the top is crispy.

Variations - add pecans, dried cranberries, or mushrooms.
This is nearly exactly how I USED to make dressing til I met my husband, who loves his mama's dressing. Her recipe IS good, but I like this one a lot too!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM

36,981 posts, read 45,435,337 times
I'm a Yankee through and through, and we only make the stuffing one way...white bread, onion, celery and sage, salt and pepper. I have always used Pepperidge Farm herbed stuffing crumbs, although the previous generations used loaves of bread and a lot of sage. This is what stuffing tastes like to my family, and its always cooked in the bird. Even though I live in the south now, I do not deviate.
In the end, isn't it all about recreating the tastes that we remember from our youth?

Old 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,588,988 times
Mine is very much like KathrynAragon's MIL's, and has been passed down for generations from 1800s Mississippi/Tennessee. I also include boiled eggs--most recipes call for eggs to be combined with the dressing, not cooked separately.

I usually use the broth/stock from cooking the turkey giblets, with some additional chicken stock, as needed. I also finely chop the giblets & add to the dressing as well as chopped onion & celery. And lots of sage. It's definitely a savory dressing. Never, ever would I use sweet cornbread! If I have them, sometimes I add a torn up biscuit or two. But that's the extent of "bread" in my stuffing.

I've already cooked mine for tomorrow (I cheated & had some tonight for supper--chef's prerogative. )

We love oysters, but I've never even tasted oyster dressing. I might try it sometime. Not a fan of fruit in dressing, though.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
I grew up on chorizo stuffing. There are variations but this is mine:

Saute cup of diced chorizo (the Spanish cured with wine ones).

When crispy, with a slotted spoon remove meat leaving the red tinted delicious fat in pan. Saute diced onion (1 small one) and garlic (3 cloves). Remove from heat.

One day old cuban bread, torn/cut into bite sized pieces. Baked at 300 till crispy. In a bowl add chorizo, onions/garlic and bread. Shake in about a tbsp Badia Complete Seasoning, salt/pepper. Stir through. Add enough chicken stock (about 2 cups) till moistened. Pour into shallow oven pan, drizzle olive oil on top and bake 25 minutes covered with foil. Remove and broil till top is browned, about 5 minutes.

My

Old 11-26-2014, 06:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,588,988 times
That sounds delicious, momtothree!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm a Yankee through and through, and we only make the stuffing one way...white bread, onion, celery and sage, salt and pepper. I have always used Pepperidge Farm herbed stuffing crumbs, although the previous generations used loaves of bread and a lot of sage. This is what stuffing tastes like to my family, and its always cooked in the bird. Even though I live in the south now, I do not deviate.
In the end, isn't it all about recreating the tastes that we remember from our youth?
Absolutely!

We have a very diverse family so our holiday meals tend to get larger and larger since everyone wants to bring something special from their childhoods! So one year we tried to change things up and we had this brilliant idea to rotate out regional Thanksgiving traditional meals...that went over about like a lead balloon because everyone said, "Well, OK - but we HAVE to have green bean casserole!" or "Well, OK...but we HAVE to have a cured ham!" or "Well, OK...but we HAVE to have the little pickled peaches!"

It didn't work. Thankfully we pulled out of that vortex before the big day and just went back to too much of everyone's favorite foods. Considering our family's heritage is English, Czech, African American, Italian, Korean, Irish, Panamanian and Puerto Rican...and from the American South, Northeast, and Midwest...well you can imagine the size of the menu when we all get together.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Mine is very much like KathrynAragon's MIL's, and has been passed down for generations from 1800s Mississippi/Tennessee. I also include boiled eggs--most recipes call for eggs to be combined with the dressing, not cooked separately.

I usually use the broth/stock from cooking the turkey giblets, with some additional chicken stock, as needed. I also finely chop the giblets & add to the dressing as well as chopped onion & celery. And lots of sage. It's definitely a savory dressing. Never, ever would I use sweet cornbread! If I have them, sometimes I add a torn up biscuit or two. But that's the extent of "bread" in my stuffing.

I've already cooked mine for tomorrow (I cheated & had some tonight for supper--chef's prerogative. )

We love oysters, but I've never even tasted oyster dressing. I might try it sometime. Not a fan of fruit in dressing, though.
Yep, you've got it! It must be an ArkLaTex thing maybe? Because my husband's family is from Louisiana and Texas and mine is from Arkansas and Louisiana and the recipes are very similar for dressing.

NO SWEET CORNBREAD ALLOWED. Definitely savory. I save the giblets for the gravy. My husband's mother's recipe is so sacred that I'm scared to add sage to it, but I want to - LOL.

It sounds like your dressing is quite a process, like mine. I usually make it a couple of days in advance, and I also sneak some too!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I grew up on chorizo stuffing. There are variations but this is mine:

Saute cup of diced chorizo (the Spanish cured with wine ones).

When crispy, with a slotted spoon remove meat leaving the red tinted delicious fat in pan. Saute diced onion (1 small one) and garlic (3 cloves). Remove from heat.

One day old cuban bread, torn/cut into bite sized pieces. Baked at 300 till crispy. In a bowl add chorizo, onions/garlic and bread. Shake in about a tbsp Badia Complete Seasoning, salt/pepper. Stir through. Add enough chicken stock (about 2 cups) till moistened. Pour into shallow oven pan, drizzle olive oil on top and bake 25 minutes covered with foil. Remove and broil till top is browned, about 5 minutes.

My
YUM.

So many good dressing recipes...I want to try them all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or