U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,866,161 times

Advertisements

There a gazillion recipes on lamb roasts. But what are your favorites? Especially to minimize the gamey taste? Can you soak it in milk like venison? I've made it twice and didn't like it. But others did. I did a coffee grounds dry brine, then once rinsed, I did a rosemary/garlic rub before roasting. It wasa hit with everyone except me, too gamey.

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:40 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,837,575 times
To me, the taste of lamb is wonderful. Mint was added in the past because folks were cooking mutton, and they didn't like the strong flavor. I love the flavor of lamb and mutton, so mint never gets close to my recipes.

BTW - lamb kidneys are REALLY good eats.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:03 AM

1,131 posts, read 612,752 times
To me, different parts of the lamb taste different. Leg of lamb is too gamey for me, but I LOVE lamb shoulder, rib chops, and loin chops. Yesterday I make rogan josh with a 3.5 lb lamb shoulder - yum!

So if you don't like the gamey flavor of the leg but still want lamb, maybe look beyond that. If you're looking for an impressive dish for the holidays, how about a crown rack of lamb chops?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:57 AM

3,641 posts, read 2,048,784 times
Here is my go to recipe for lamb but I do like the taste of lamb. I add coarsely chopped potatoes to the pan.RecipeSource: Meshoui (Moroccan Lamb)

Now for rack of lamb my husband makes this recipe. He serves it with garlic mashed and roasted asparagus. Holy cow! It is divine.http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Morocca...r_results_p1i7

Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylilyDee View Post
To me, different parts of the lamb taste different. Leg of lamb is too gamey for me, but I LOVE lamb shoulder, rib chops, and loin chops. Yesterday I make rogan josh with a 3.5 lb lamb shoulder - yum!

So if you don't like the gamey flavor of the leg but still want lamb, maybe look beyond that. If you're looking for an impressive dish for the holidays, how about a crown rack of lamb chops?
Ooh, I wonder if I'll like the shoulder then. I love pork and beef shoulders the best too. I'm going to ask the butcher for that cut and try it.

Thanks to all!

Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Soooo in doing more research now that different cuts may be less or more gamey tasting, I came across something else. Apparently US bred lamb is the mildest of all lamb. I usually buy New Zealand lamb. I am going to call around tomorrow and try to find US bred and go from there.

Still trying to decide on a rack of lamb or shoulder. I am leaning toward shoulder as it's more foolproof and I don't have to hassle with trying to not overcook it (based on reading online) and plus I have well done people plus rare people.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:44 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,665,054 times
Yes, three things will affect the taste of lamb.

1. Where it was raised... to an extent. See #2

2. Age of the lamb. Whole legs should be under 7 lbs. I've noticed that most NZ whole legs are above 7 lbs.

3. And cryovac. I won't buy another piece of meat in cryovac. It does change the flavor and no matter how long your air out the meat, you can still taste the yuck.

I poke garlic cloves throughout the lamb and top with sprigs of rosemary.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,837,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
...I have well done people...
You gotta watch those who are "well-done" - you never know what's gonna come outta their mouths.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,441,394 times
Trimming lamb fat helps tame strong lamb flavor.

Honestly I generally like my lamb roasts whole and simply braised with rosemary or mint.

If I was trying to bury the lamb flavor a bit I would opt for one of many Indian recipes like Biryani, Rogan Josh etc. You can chunk the lamb up for those and lets you remove the most fat.

Anjum Anand has a pretty good recipe for Rogan Josh. Its very similar to what my wife makes, being part Indian its usually her doing this type of cooking. Also it works much better if you make your own freshly ground Garam Masala, rather than store bought, unless of course you have access to a real Indian market that grinds spices in house.

Last edited by justanokie; 12-16-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Trimming lamb fat helps tame strong lamb flavor.

Honestly I generally like my lamb roasts whole and simply braised with rosemary or mint.

If I was trying to bury the lamb flavor a bit I would opt for one of many Indian recipes like Biryani, Rogan Josh etc. You can chunk the lamb up for those and lets you remove the most fat.

Anjum Anand has a pretty good recipe for Rogan Josh. Its very similar to what my wife makes, being part Indian its usually her doing this type of cooking. Also it works much better if you make your own freshly ground Garam Masala, rather than store bought, unless of course you have access to a real Indian market that grinds spices in house.
Thanks for the tip on the fat trimming.

I'm planning on marinating the lamb in garlic, rosemary and red wine. Then braising it using a spoon lamb method/recipe.

I actually do have an excellent large Indian grocery store close by. I'll check them out if I end up liking the lamb. I'll use it next in the recipe you suggested. I also always wanted to make a gyro inspired burger. Hopefully I'll like the roast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or