U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,629,947 times

Advertisements

Yes, you wouldn't believe the array of silver flatware available! Or at least it was in the Victorian era when there was little refrigeration and they were afraid of cross-contaminating food. So everything had its own purpose, the bacon fork, sardine server, bonbon scoop - you name the food, it had a particular server. Makes an olive spoon look downright ordinary.

Disclaimer: I spent a few years eons ago happily working in the China & Silver department of a major store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Yes, you wouldn't believe the array of silver flatware available! Or at least it was in the Victorian era when there was little refrigeration and they were afraid of cross-contaminating food. So everything had its own purpose, the bacon fork, sardine server, bonbon scoop - you name the food, it had a particular server.

Aaaaah, I begin to understand...

Old 12-15-2014, 04:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 5,669,961 times
Curious... Has anyone ever actually been to a restaurant where it would matter what utensil was the "proper" one to use? I wonder what percentage of society has.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM

It's not too unusual to also have a salad fork and a soup spoon but other than that it's usually the basic knife, dinner fork, tea spoon. It seems to me when dessert is ordered then they bring another utensil anyway, so it's not like it's all laid out in front of you all at once (shades of Downton Abbey!), at least not in the restaurants I frequent!

Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
It's not too unusual to also have a salad fork and a soup spoon but other than that it's usually the basic knife, dinner fork, tea spoon. It seems to me when dessert is ordered then they bring another utensil anyway, so it's not like it's all laid out in front of you all at once (shades of Downton Abbey!), at least not in the restaurants I frequent!
Having never been to a hoy polloy restaurant I would have assumed that they were all lined up 6 to the left and 8 to the right (lol) and your seat neighbor an appropriate distance from you.
I did find this diagram... I think I would have trouble navigating all this, and I wonder too how being left handed would come into play. No matter what I would be out of place.

Dressing and setting your dining room table for a formal dinner

I never would have known either that each place gets their own salt and pepper shaker.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Love the diagram! That would never happen anywhere I go, but I do admit to having given each of my guests (in days long gone) their own salt and pepper shakers. I have these purchased in the days before Sur la Table was around.

Salt & Pepper Shakers, Set of 12 | Sur La Table

Old 12-15-2014, 06:18 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,860,741 times
I was surprised when plastic "sporks" showed up in fast food places. That configuration has been around since Victorian times or before....called an ice cream fork.

http://raresterling.com/sitebuilderc...G.w560h167.jpg

Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM

6,332 posts, read 3,588,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Having never been to a hoy polloy restaurant I would have assumed that they were all lined up 6 to the left and 8 to the right (lol) and your seat neighbor an appropriate distance from you.
As long as we're doing a little educating about how the one percent dines I'll throw in my two cents.

I don't think hoi polloi is the word you want here. That would describe a restaurant for the common man. Bet you were thinking of "hoity-toity." Or you may use the one I use - ritzy-ditzy.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
As long as we're doing a little educating about how the one percent dines I'll throw in my two cents.

I don't think hoi polloi is the word you want here. That would describe a restaurant for the common man. Bet you were thinking of "hoity-toity." Or you may use the one I use - ritzy-ditzy.
I wish there was an emoticon for "on-the-nose." Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 12-15-2014 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I was surprised when plastic "sporks" showed up in fast food places. That configuration has been around since Victorian times or before....called an ice cream fork.

http://raresterling.com/sitebuilderc...G.w560h167.jpg
Nice! I have one of those (not in the Grand Baroque pattern, speaking of hoity-toity and ritzy-ditzy!) and I use it for serving the holiday ham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or