Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 03:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times

Advertisements

I normally only lurk here to pick up menu ideas, but I ran across this and thought it looked like a wonderful stew for these cold wintry days I haven't made it yet, but just the name makes me feel warm and happy.
What do you think?
Here is the link:
Coconut Curried Sweet Potato and Lentil Stew | Ambitious Kitchen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
It looks pretty good, if a little on the sweet side for my palate. I'd probably leave out the carrots and sub 1/3 white potatoes for some of the sweet potatoes, or maybe some mushrooms for more umami. It depends on what flavor profiles you like, though. There's certainly nothing wrong with the recipe that I can see.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
I'm sure it's quite flavorful, but I just can't handle the texture. I've had a lentil curry in the past, and I just didn't care for the mushy texture.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:21 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
It looks pretty good, if a little on the sweet side for my palate. I'd probably leave out the carrots and sub 1/3 white potatoes for some of the sweet potatoes, or maybe some mushrooms for more umami. It depends on what flavor profiles you like, though. There's certainly nothing wrong with the recipe that I can see.
I can see that it might need to be lightened up a bit- thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm sure it's quite flavorful, but I just can't handle the texture. I've had a lentil curry in the past, and I just didn't care for the mushy texture.
I agree with the texture issue. I am trying to incorporate more legumes into my diet, so hoping the flavor makes up for the texture.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I have made a pretty similar recipe before. I had mine with rice/quinoa, instead of just lentils. A few tips! This recipe looks a little sweet. I did not add cinnamon to my recipe. I added cayenne pepper and/or fresh chilis. To brighten it up a bit, finish it with a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro is nice too.

Also, I cook mine with some tomatoes. I mix in half a can of diced to tomatoes, and reduce the amount of broth.

I have done this a few times, I really liked the variation with the roasted sweet potatoes best. That added a nice dose of extra flavor. I have also done it with roasted carrots instead of sweet potatoes. It is yummy too.

I think adding extra heat is critical to keeping it from trending towards too sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes