U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times

Advertisements

I made this last night and it was delicious. It's a very general recipe, not too strong in spices or extreme in flavors, so almost a crowd pleaser. I saw almost as there's always someone that will hate Chinese food no matter what. Below is adapted on what I had on hand and family's tastes, I used this site: Marinated Pork

2 pounds of ground pork, lean
1 box of s-h-i-take mushrooms (or whatever you like), sliced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 inch of ginger, minced
1/2 cup of fried shallots, (I buy these at my asian market, you can make your own)
2 TBSP of Golden Mountain Seasoning sauce (If you don't have this or oyster, sub for soy sauce)
2 TBSP of Oyster sauce
1/4 cup of good dark soy sauce (mine is thick and a little goes a long way)
1/2 cup of Chinese cooking wine (avoid the overly sweetened mirin, get the plain one)
1 tsp of 5 spice powder
1 piece of rock sugar (I buy this at my Asian market, you can sub out for 2 or 3 tbsp of honey)

5 soft boiled eggs, peeled.

Add a touch of oil to pan, saute mushrooms for a minute, then add garlic, ginger and shallots. Cook over high for a few minutes till fragrant. Then add in the pork and stir through. Add rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the eggs. Stir through and cook on high till pork is no longer pink. Keep stirring to break up larger chunks that form as it cooks. About 10 minutes. Then add a bit of water till the meat is barely covered. About 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup. Not too much. Then turn heat down to low and cover for an hour. Stirring once or twice. I use a french oven for this, the recipe I posted above used a crock pot.

After an hour, add eggs and nestle them on top to absorb the sauce. Cover and let it cook for another hour on simmer stirring occasionally and being careful of the eggs. Rotate the eggs so it browns from the braising liquid all over. . Add a tbsp of cornstarch to a couple of tbsp of water. Stir in cornstarch mixture and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes till thickened. It should be very tender and thick. Serve over rice and sprinkle more of the fried shallots on top. I also have added sliced green onions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 02:43 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,829,413 times
This sounds really good. Do you crack the eggs over the cooked meat or do you soft boil them first? I was thinking maybe making sunny side up eggs and add them to the dish?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:26 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This sounds really good. Do you crack the eggs over the cooked meat or do you soft boil them first? I was thinking maybe making sunny side up eggs and add them to the dish?
You soft boil the eggs, peel them and then put them in the last hour of cooking. They soak up the braising liquid.

But a fried egg on top of the finished dish would be also delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes