U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,251,940 times

Advertisements

I made some hollandaise sauce going by a recipe I found on the internet and it was too runny. So I added some corn starch to thicken it up and it did thicken up but maybe it changed the taste somewhat. I don't know because I have never made hollandaise sauce before and don't know what it is supposed to taste like. Anyway, maybe you have a tasty recipe that you want to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM

765 posts, read 440,839 times
I got this from a Chef at Trump Towers about 30 years ago. I could drink this stuff by the gallon!

Hollandaise Sauce

2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup cold butter cut into 8 pieces (no substitutions)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
pinch ground red pepper

Whisk egg yolks, water and lemon juice in small sauce pan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until bubbles form around edge of pan. Whisk butter in one piece at a time until completely incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in salt, paprika and ground red pepper.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,910,229 times
I do mine in a blender:

Blender Hollandaise Recipe | Epicurious.com

I also add a dash of hot sauce to liven it up.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:26 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,588,086 times
I just use Knorrs packaged Hollandaise sauce, yes, homemade is probably better but this stuff is great and a breeze to whip up.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,910,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I just use Knorrs packaged Hollandaise sauce, yes, homemade is probably better but this stuff is great and a breeze to whip up.
I like homemade hollandaise better ONLY because I prefer fresh lemon taste. Also if anyone likes dijonnaise sauce for chicken. It's hollandaise sauce with a tablespoon or two of stone ground dijon mustard. Simple sauce but very tasty.

But I adore Knorr's Bearnaise sauce packet. Knorr makes pretty decent sauces.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 25 days ago)

58,166 posts, read 40,950,018 times
A container from Trader Joe's.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 AM

24,967 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I made some hollandaise sauce going by a recipe I found on the internet and it was too runny. So I added some corn starch to thicken it up and it did thicken up but maybe it changed the taste somewhat. I don't know because I have never made hollandaise sauce before and don't know what it is supposed to taste like. Anyway, maybe you have a tasty recipe that you want to share.
If the sauce is thin, you probably added the butter too quickly. I would have thickened it with a egg yolk.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 AM

24,967 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A container from Trader Joe's.
I bought some over the holidays.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 PM

3,534 posts, read 2,379,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
You may want to try the microwave trick. It does work

Here is a recipe:

1 jumbo egg or 2 egg yolks
2 capfuls lemon juice
dash of salt
dash of white pepper
1 stick of dairy butter, melted and HOT

Whisk the egg, lemon juice & seasonings together until frothy. While continuing to whisk, pour in a thin stream of the hot butter & continue pouring until all butter is incorporated into the egg mixture. If it hasn't thickened a little, give it a nudge in the microwave by 10-second zaps and stir well after each zap until it begins to thicken. As soon as it BEGINS to thicken, that's enough - it's done. Serve hot.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:22 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,251,940 times
I bought some Reese Hollandaise sauce and it was absolutely horrible. The label didn't give any instructions on adding anything or whether or not to mix it with something or anything. So I am going to throw it out. I could hardly get the eggs down but forced myself. So now I bought some Knorr and will try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes