Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a strange question but does anyone know how to make fried dill pickles??? I had some at the Mountineer Restaurant in Maggie Valley and I loved them. My husband said why don't you ask your friends if anyone has a receipe so I'm asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 07:39 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Fried Dill Pickles

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup ice water
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
8 medium to large dill pickles, sliced 1/4" or use 4 cups drained dill pickle slices
oil for frying

Instructions:

Stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
Make a well in center, add water, egg yolk, and dill pickle juice, at the same time.
Stir with wire wisk to make a smooth batter.
Cover bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Heat at least 2 inches of oil in deep fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
In batches, dip pickle slices in the batter to coat evenly and lightly.
Fry without crowding in hot oil until golden brown and crisp, 1.5 to 2 minutes.
Drain on paper towel and serve at once.
Dip in a sauce if preferred.
Makes about 8 servings as an appetizer or side dish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fried Dill Pickles

These are a real treat!

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
4 good shakes Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, divided
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
32 oz. jar of dill pickle spears
Vegetable oil

In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, eggs, buttermilk, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cayenne and garlic salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, remaining flour and pepper.

Slice the pickles into bite-size chunks and dip into milk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.

Deep fry at 365¡ until golden brown. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon vinegar-based hot pepper sauce
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup cornmeal
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (32 ounce) jar dill pickle slices
1 cup vegetable oil for deep frying
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of the flour, buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, 2 cups flour, salt and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Preheat oil in a deep fryer or pot to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Dip drained pickles into milk mixture and then dredge them in the flour mixture. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Salt and pepper to taste
Editor's Note

Old 11-04-2006, 07:43 PM

Oh thank you Evey! I'm going to try the first one! Thanks again

Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Here's another:

1 cup self rising flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon red pepper
1/3 to 1/2 cup beer (more if necessary)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk (more if necessary)
dill pickles
Cooking oil

Directions

1. Mix all the ingredients together

2. Dip your dills into the batter and put them in your hot cooking oil until they brown evenly.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Thanks, Evey, for those recipes. I'm going to try them, myself. I love good fried pickles, but the times I've tried to duplicate them, they turned out so-so. I like to eat them with white gravy. Yummy!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 PM

56 posts, read 388,994 times
I like the Fried Pickles at Razoos.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
Fried pickles?! Never heard of that! I wish I wasn't so dang lazy to "cook" cause I'd love to try them! (I'll add it to my long list.. )

Old 11-05-2006, 08:05 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Hasn't anyone read the warnings about fried foods and trans fats lately. They clog your arteries and are very, very bad for you! O.K. now with that public service message out of the way. Where can I get about a half dozen.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Southerners have been eating fried foods for years, and we're still here! At least when we die of those clogged arteries, we die happy, full of good food! Seriously, I go with my granny's thoughts on this, "Have a little bit of everything, but not too much of anything". I think it's good advice. Moderation is the key. While I know I should not eat too much in the way of fatty foods, etc., I am not going munch on tofu and alfafa sprouts all the time either, (actually, I'll eat the sprouts. Won't touch the tofu ).

Elfyum, I have no idea if you could even find any down in Miami, (I think that's where I remember that you were from). If you ever come up to the Fort Walton Beach/Pensacola area, go into Milton, to Big T's. It's right on Hwy. 90, going straight through town.

Exhdo1, I would defy you to eat only half a dozen of them, especially with white gravy or ranch dressing, (some folks like the dressing. I like the gravy better). Kind of like that old Lay's potato chip commerical. Only, in this case, you can't stop at six!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:17 PM

I could eat half dozen EASY, I like the ranch dressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes