U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 07:17 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,880,900 times

Advertisements

For protein brown 1 pound of ground venison with 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and 2 tsp of Soy sauce and minced onion to taste. (I also use ground turkey, beef or pork)

In large crock pot, dump
2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes
1 can or 1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn

Add the browned meat

Add 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon franks red hot (adjust to taste)

Cook on high for 6-8 hours

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese.

You can also do this in a stock pot on the stove. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM

86 posts, read 79,961 times
Just remember folks, today's Superbowl chili, will be tomorrow's Superbowel chili.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,786,138 times
Here's mine:

1 lb. ground turkey, browned with one brown onion (chopped)
2-3 cans black beans, drained
1 large can diced tomatoes, juice included (home canned, even better)
1 small can tomato sauce, if "Mexican style", even better
2 small cans Ortega (or similar brand) chopped green chilies, undrained

For seasoning, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, all to taste. Extra salt not necessary. Also, if you have bits of leftover vegetables like bell pepper, celery, onions, etc., throw it in.

Cook all day in crockpot on low setting, or simmer on stovetop for a couple of hours. For larger batches, more of everything above.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 22,615,620 times
I got mine off the internet and won 2nd place!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,336,603 times
This is the recipe I use. We love it. It's healthy, but it still tastes great.
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (browned)
1 4 oz can tomato sauce
1 can kernel corn
1 can rotel
1 can refried beans
1 package chili seasoning
1 can kidney beans or chick peas
Chicken broth ( as much as you feel you need)
I throw this is a huge pot and heat then top with shredded Mexican cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,916,646 times
I make a robust turkey chili using...
  • ground turkey
  • crushed tomatoes
  • tomato sauce
  • chili powder
  • cumin
  • paprika
  • crushed coriander seeds
  • fresh garlic
  • powdered garlic
  • onions
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • red kidney beans
Make sure you use chili powder that is just "chili powder" - no added salt, MSG, or cumin. You want to control the amount of the other ingredients yourself.

Add the dry ingredients to the turkey meat after it has browned and stir it into the meat - this darkens the turkey meat and makes it more visually appealing. The ground coriander adds a citrus note and elevates the flavor profile. I get a lot of recipe requests for this - I think one reason is the coriander adding just the right flavor boost.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Hey Dirt Grinder - I make almost the same thing, but I use chunks of left-over turkey from the holidays

Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 PM

32,396 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Three-bean chili

One medium onion, diced
Garlic (as little or as much as you like) diced
2-3 jalapeno peppers (or any pepper you like), seeded and minced
3 15 oz. cans of beans, your choice (I mix black, kidney, and cannellini), drained and rinsed
3 cans whole or diced tomatoes, with juice
12 oz. beer
1 T dried oregano
1 T cumin powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: diced bell peppers, or any other vegetable you like (minced celery and shredded carrots are good)

Dump everything in a stock pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft and until the chili is as thick as you like. If you're using whole tomatoes, use a spoon and break them up midway through cooking.

This is good with a splat of sour cream or yogurt on it, and shredded cheese and/or green onions if you like.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM

32,396 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Cincinnati Chili

3 pounds ground beef
1 quart cold water
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 t vinegar
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
2 t chili powder
5 bay leaves
2 t cinnamon
1 t allspice
2 cayenne peppers
1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa
salt and pepper to taste

Crumble the raw ground beef into the water; bring to a boil, and simmer until the beef is cooked, stirring to break up clumps of beef. Add the remaining ingredients, and return to a boil. Cover and simmer two or more hours, stirring occasionally, until thick.

Do not brown the ground beef.

The proper way to serve this chili is over cooked spaghetti on an oval dish. Top with shredded cheddar (3-way), and/or red beans and chopped onions (only one makes a 4-way; both make a 5-way). Serve with oyster crackers.

Also ... Some people will let the chili sit overnight in the fridge to skim the fat from the beef; I drain the beef after it's cooked and add more water, along with the rest of the ingredients.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM

17,486 posts, read 20,957,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, this is a cheater, too, but it won 3rd place in a chili cook off. It's what chili tastes like to us. Not too hot, not too bland. Not too thin, not too thick. Super easy.

2 # ground beef
2 pkgs McCormick Original Chili mix (Disregard the package instructions)
2 cans kidney beans (undrained)
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15oz diced tomatoes

Brown ground beef (really sear it until all the moisture cooks out and makes nice brown gunk in the pan), add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.
I do the same thing except no tomatoes and I use red kidney beans, black beans. I do add a touch of tomato paste. I use the leftovers and serve over spaghetti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or