U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,246,375 times

Advertisements

it would take tomato's of course. But beyond that I don't know what else would be in it. Anyone do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,639,849 times
There are recipes all over the Internet. I don't even really like tomato soup -- I find it so acid-y -- but this one has always tempted me; it looks amaaaaaazing:

Best Tomato Soup Ever Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,895,821 times
I make some simple tomatoes soup, it is more of a Chinese recipe, but I consider tasty and fairly easy.
Here is the following step.

1) Tomatoes (no amount limit, whatever you think is good amount for you as long as you can finish it)
2) vegetable (any kind, as long as you can tolerate it)
3) egg (raw egg, have it ready and put it in as you about to finish the soup)

-Boil water, as much as you want, but don't go crazy on it, unless you can really finish it and that kind of thirsty
-Put tomatoes and vegetable into the water and boil it with the water
-When water is boiling, like you see the ripple on the water, then stir the raw egg and pour it into the boiling water
-Put salt, vinegar, pepper, (put little by little and try to drink some to taste if you like it or not, if not, put more)

Tomatoes soup is done.
Hope this is something you looking for.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM

491 posts, read 243,057 times
Here are two of my favorite tomato soup recipes, of which one is a homemade recipe (made from scratch).

I really enjoy this soup. It has a nice buttery taste to it.

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped (1/2 of one large onion)
4 whole cloves, or use 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter (I used 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons flour (I used 3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon salt (I only used 1/2 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar

In a large stockpot over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for 20 minutes. (If making more than one batch of soup in the stockpot, like I did, I suggest covering the pot with a lid. This allows the vegetables to come to a boil much quicker. And after the vegetables come to a boil, remove the lid, and then I gently boil the vegetables for 25 minutes.)

Remove the stockpot from the heat, and run the vegetable mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. (I did try to remove any cloves I spotted, before running mixture through the food mill.) Discard any tomato/onion mixture left over in the food mill.

In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is light golden brown in color.

Quickly whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest of the tomato juice mixture.

Season soup with the salt and sugar.

Heat the soup through, then serve.

Yields: 6 servings

Here's a really quick and easy tomato soup to put together!

Quick 'N Easy Tomato Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
2 (14-1/2 oz.) cans Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed tomato soup
Croutons, to garnish soup (I used cheese garlic flavored croutons)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, then sauté the onion in butter for about 3 minutes & 30 seconds.

Reduce heat to low, then add both cans of diced tomatoes, and the can of tomato soup; stir, and heat through.

Ladle soup in bowls or mugs.

Top soup with croutons if desired.

Yields: 3 - 4 servings

Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
It's simple and delish. I get a pound of ripe plum tomatoes. Slice them in half. Cut up a small onion into large chunks. Place a couple of garlic cloves. (optional) Drizzle olive oil or favorite oil over them and toss a bit while on the baking/cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt/pepper on them and favorite herbs if you wish. Roast in oven at 325 till wrinkled and butt ugly. About 40 minutes.

On stove, bring to a boil about 2 cups of chicken stock. Scrape tomatoes and everything on the baking sheet into pot with stock. Take an immersion blender and blend it all together. Let it cook for another 10 minutes on medium, salt/pepper to taste. Don't salt during cooking time, tomatoes "eat" salt so it won't taste salted enough but the sodium will remain. It's one of the reasons why jarred tomato sauces are so laden with sodium.

If you don't have an immersion blender, scrape tomatoes and all the bits into a blender and puree till done. Then add to stock. Then cook for the 10 minutes on medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste just before serving.

You then can serve the soup with favorite garnishes such as sour cream, grated parm, etc.

To make it creamy tomato soup, you can add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of cream to the soup after the final 10 minutes of cooking. Turn off heat and add cream. Stir through and serve.

Edited to add: If you don't like "seeds" in your soup. You can use a regular metal soup spoon or melon baller and scoop out the middles of the halved tomatoes. Discard. Then roast. I personally don't mind them but some do.

Last edited by momtothree; 02-23-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,154,453 times
I love tomato soup Mom - I'm going to make ^^^^^ this recipe.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,780,133 times
This is the recipe I use: La Madeleines Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe - Food.com

I use canned tomatoes. Sometimes I substitute half-and-half for the heavy cream. It's not a low-cal soup...

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM

32,311 posts, read 59,630,224 times
I make it in the summer with fresh tomatoes - it's delicious and sooo much better than commercially canned soup.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I make it in the summer with fresh tomatoes - it's delicious and sooo much better than commercially canned soup.
I agree. I thought I hated tomato soup as I only had tasted the canned variety for years and years. I wouldn't order it or make it. Till one day my brother convinced me to try his homemade version.

Now it's one of my most favorite soups. Only "canned" variety I will eat is the Pacific Foods Creamy Tomato soup that comes in a thick paper carton. I eat this in the Winter since tomatoes are tasteless right now.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,767,263 times
^^^Me too. Fresh tomatoes don't exist right now. I use canned tomato puree. And the recipe I have, (not in my head though) has some grated carrot. It's REALLY good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or