Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
My italian friend would cook a large peeled onion with her sauce , then discard it when sauce was done
What's up with that? Why wouldn't you just cut up the onion and cook it in the sauce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:59 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
I like to use San Marzanos. We usually use the Cento brand, mostly because it's readily available.

I've tried growing them, but with limited success.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
What's up with that? Why wouldn't you just cut up the onion and cook it in the sauce?
lol, no idea , I don't speak Italian

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've actually made this a couple of times now. The recipe calls for 2 pounds of tomatoes, but this last time, I used 6 pounds and may use 8 pounds the next time. Problem is, tomatoes here are 99 cents per pound and that makes this recipe way more expensive than just buying a jar of spaghetti sauce.

At any rate, I used store bought Roma tomatoes and used a whole (small) onion, quartered. I also added garlic powder, basil, a wee bit of salt, and some parsley as well. It did have to simmer for hours (I think 5), but I wasn't doing anything anyway, so occasionally I wandered out to the kitchen to stir it. I think I simmered it too long, because it was thicker than I would have liked. When I was done, I threw some in a pound of hamburger that I had already cooked, then split the sauce 4 ways. Ate one portion on spaghetti and froze the other three in freezer bags. It was pretty good!
Grow your own tomatoes. You will likely get so many that you will have quarts of tomato sauce coming out your ears.

At least that what has happened to me in the past.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:16 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I wish I could. I'm renting a room in an apartment type building. There's no yard and we aren't allowed to have anything in or in front of our windows in case of fire. Otherwise I'd hang up a tomato plant in the window. I want a garden so bad it hurts.

Oh, here's a link to Marcella Hazan's recipe:

http://food52.com/recipes/13722-marc...tter?yhoo=true

Old 04-26-2015, 05:16 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I sometimes add 1/4 red wine to my sauce. I cook it for about 3 - 4 hours, but if I have meat in it like pork or beef then I cook it 5-6 hours. I like a slightly thicker sauce that's another reason I use paste and puree.
Do you add the meat to the sauce before you cook it then? And if so, I assume the meat is already cooked?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Do you add the meat to the sauce before you cook it then? And if so, I assume the meat is already cooked?
Why? If it's cooking for five or six hours in the sauce, it doesn't have to be cooked ahead of time (maybe browned).

Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
I am not the original OP but many people don't like to eat the onion. But they don't mind the flavor from it. Many cooks I know will leave it in huge pieces for easy removal before serving. It's just a preference. Same with garlic.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am not the original OP but many people don't like to eat the onion. But they don't mind the flavor from it. Many cooks I know will leave it in huge pieces for easy removal before serving. It's just a preference. Same with garlic.
That recipe, when made according to spec, is like silk. The sauce is... silky. (Must be all the butter.) Having onion chunks in it changes the entire goal of the sauce's consistency. I've made this many times -- just San Marzano tomatoes, butter, butter, butter, and a whole onion sitting in it until it's done. Remove onion and... silk. And yum.

PS. It has to be made with San Marzano tomatoes. I've tried it with other tomatoes and they're all too acidic. San Marzano tomatoes made the sauce sweet (not too sweet), fresh and light tasting.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
OK, it isn't tomato sauce but it is close. I am doing bar b cue sauce today. We are having mom's day here and I wanted home made sauce to go with our brisket. I will probalby only make a couple of pints, but it is a start. I hope I get a litle more, we will see. Even thinking "canning" makes we happy to realize spring is really here and summer is just around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes