Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:28 PM

69 posts, read 254,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
I've had it marinating since yesterday (a peppercorn and garlic packaged mix thing)

I'm not sure how long to cook it, and if I should cook it on the stove top or put it in the oven w/the baked potatoes.

I haven't cooked steak much, so I just don't know. It is about 2 inches thick in some parts. Three 4 by 3 inch cuts about.

Thanks in advance.
A good rib eye steak is so tender & flavorful, you would have no reason to marinate it. Only red meat that is somewhat naturally tough should be marinated (sirloin would be an example). A good quality steak is best grilled with just salt/pepper or maybe a little garlic powder. Don't mess with good meat by over processing it or adding too many ingredients. The joy of a good steak is in its natural flavors & texture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
A good rib eye steak is so tender & flavorful, you would have no reason to marinate it. Only red meat that is somewhat naturally tough should be marinated (sirloin would be an example). A good quality steak is best grilled with just salt/pepper or maybe a little garlic powder. Don't mess with good meat by over processing it or adding too many ingredients. The joy of a good steak is in its natural flavors & texture.
I couldn't agree more! Well said Peggy!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
Thanks for the info on marinating.

I have to admit, I don't have much clue about red meat. My grandfather's worked in the meat packing industry much of his life and he's given me info here and there, but it just hasn't sunk in I guess. Can't remember all those different cuts and stuff.

Haven't cooked red meat much, more fish, chicken, turkey. Only picked ribeye because I was standing there in the grocery store staring confusedly at all that meat and having no idea what to choose. Wanting to make a nice steak/potato meal for my family, give 'em some variety. And this helpful man told me that ribeye would be the tenderest.

Next time I won't marinate it though. thanks...

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
I completely agree. If it is good quality meat, it should not be marinated. I prefer minced garlic to powdered garlic, but powdered or granulated garlic works if you have nothing else. I also like a little sage, some celery seed, a very light sprinkling of sea salt, and like Town&Country suggested, fresh pepper at the very end. If I'm serving guests, I leave off the salt so they can add it to their own tastes.

Pan searing the steak for a minute or two on both sides in a skillet on high heat, as nanannie suggested, helps lock in the juices. Then grilling or broiling the steak for 7 to 10 minutes on each side (depending on how well you want the steak cooked) produces the best results.

Allow the steak to rest for a minute or two after it is done cooking, so the juices will settle back towards the center and not be so bloody when the steak is cut. Serve with a nice Cabernet Sauvignon.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 21,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
I've had it marinating since yesterday (a peppercorn and garlic packaged mix thing)

I'm not sure how long to cook it, and if I should cook it on the stove top or put it in the oven w/the baked potatoes.

I haven't cooked steak much, so I just don't know. It is about 2 inches thick in some parts. Three 4 by 3 inch cuts about.

Thanks in advance.
check here:
http://www.steakhousefinder.com/steak-cooking-lessons/

Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
OK, here it is. This isn't healthy but it's good as hell!

Bring the steaks to room temperature. Season liberally with Lawry's seasoned salt. Get that grill so hot it will burn your eyeballs to look at it. Blot excess moisture off of the steaks with a paper towel before putting on grill. Sear on each side for a few minutes. (OK, here is the good part) Ladle the steaks with melted butter - not margarine. And don't be stingy on the butter! Remove to a heavy metal pan that is on the grill, but not directly over the coals. Close grill and cook to desired level of doneness. Remove from grill and wrap in aluminum foil for 4-5 minutes so that juices return to center of steaks.

Fix the sides of choice, pour yourself a good beer or Cabernet and Enjoy!

P.S. It doesn;t hurt to have the phone number of a good cardiologist nearby!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I do the searing thing, thats why I love my Le Creuset cookware, I can sear it on the stove top and put it in the oven in the same pan.

I use a dry rub on meat that comes from my favorite barbeque place in Texas. I avoid things like season salt and meat tenderizer because they usually have MSG in it.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM

93 posts, read 305,256 times
Default Myocardial Infarction Ribeye's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post

Bring the steaks to room temperature. Season liberally with Lawry's seasoned salt. Get that grill so hot it will burn your eyeballs to look at it. Blot excess moisture off of the steaks with a paper towel before putting on grill. Sear on each side for a few minutes. (OK, here is the good part) Ladle the steaks with melted butter - not margarine. And don't be stingy on the butter! Remove to a heavy metal pan that is on the grill, but not directly over the coals. Close grill and cook to desired level of doneness. Remove from grill and wrap in aluminum foil for 4-5 minutes so that juices return to center of steaks.

This is the way I make them as well, I just make my guests sign a liability waiver before I serve them.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,189,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post

Ooh, that sounds really good. I bet even my steak (I prefer WELL done) will not turn out like shoe leather using this. Now, if I could only be sure to find some good rib steaks at my grocery store. One bad thing about not living in NY anymore.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Ooh, that sounds really good. I bet even my steak (I prefer WELL done) will not turn out like shoe leather using this. Now, if I could only be sure to find some good rib steaks at my grocery store. One bad thing about not living in NY anymore.
I see you live in FL, if you have Winn_dixie try their rib eyes. That' s usually the only meat I will buy there, and the rib eye is very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes