U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,868,299 times

Advertisements

Other than swiss steaks or smothered mushroom gravy etc?

I sent hubby to get cubed meat for stew which he thought I meant cubed steaks as the ones that are put through the machine to tenderize it. Sigh.

I usually just bread them and make smothered with mushrooms/onions or salisbury etc but don't feel like that this week. I don't like tomato sauce so no Swiss Steaks.

What other recipes do you guys do with cubed steaks? They are thick cut chuck steaks that have been put through the machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,013,554 times
If you want chicken fried steak bread it with flour and deep fry it.
Put it on the grill
Put it on the broiler
Put it into a fresh pot of vegetable soup and let it cook then break it up into pieces
Fry it and put it on a bun
Put it in the stew you have already planned to make

It is beef just processed a wee bit different

and I would never ever suggest anyone smother anything with mushroom gravy but I hate mushrooms.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,585,467 times
I only use them for chicken fried steak. Breaded, pan fry, then make a white gravy with the drippings.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you want chicken fried steak bread it with flour and deep fry it.
Put it on the grill
Put it on the broiler
Put it into a fresh pot of vegetable soup and let it cook then break it up into pieces
Fry it and put it on a bun
Put it in the stew you have already planned to make

It is beef just processed a wee bit different

and I would never ever suggest anyone smother anything with mushroom gravy but I hate mushrooms.
I love mushrooms so I usually chicken fry it and smother it.

I guess I could cut it up for the soup I was going to make. I didn't think of that and it would be super tender. Duh on me.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I only use them for chicken fried steak. Breaded, pan fry, then make a white gravy with the drippings.
Me too! I was stumped as I didn't feel like having that tomorrow. I had a complete blank mind in trying to think of what else to do with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM

6,441 posts, read 1,281,222 times
I have a VERY easy one that is a favorite of everyone, and it takes only about 30 minutes, start to finish! It is a cube steak casserole made with shell macaroni, sour cream, tomato soup, onions and spices. The following makes four moderate servings:

1/2 box medium shell macaroni
1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 lb. cube steak (more or less) -- usually it is best NOT tenderized, but okay if it is
1 can tomato soup
1 c. sour cream (more if you like it creamier, less if you want it less creamy)
Paprika, Parsley, and Italian seasoning to taste (I use about 2 tsp. of each)

1. Make pasta according to package directions in LARGE pot. While it is cooking, do the following:
2. Cut cube steak into bite size pieces and saute in small amount of butter with chopped onion
3. Add tomato soup, sour cream, and spices to cube steak and onion mixture, heat and simmer (LOW) until pasta is cooked.
4. When pasta is done, drain it, then add cube steak mixture, and serve. (Will stay hot for 20 minutes if hot mixture is added to hot pasta, and pan is covered.)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-09-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I have a VERY easy one that is a favorite of everyone, and it takes only about 30 minutes, start to finish! It is a cube steak casserole made with shell macaroni, sour cream, tomato soup, onions and spices. The following makes four moderate servings:

1/2 box medium shell macaroni
1 small or 1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 lb. cube steak (more or less) -- usually it is best NOT tenderized, but okay if it is
1 can tomato soup
1 c. sour cream (more if you like it creamier, less if you want it less creamy)
Paprika, Parsley, and Italian seasoning to taste (I use about 2 tsp. of each)

1. Make pasta according to package directions in LARGE pot. While it is cooking, do the following:
2. Cut cube steak into bite size pieces and saute with chopped onion
3. Add tomato soup and spices to cube steak and onion mixture, heat and simmer (LOW) until pasta is cooked.
4. When pasta is done, drain it, then add cube steak mixture, and serve. (Will stay hot for 20 minutes if it hot mixture is added to hot pasta.)
Is there a form of cube steak that isn't tenderized? I thought they were all tenderized by putting the steaks in those cubing machines that punctures them?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM

6,441 posts, read 1,281,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Is there a form of cube steak that isn't tenderized? I thought they were all tenderized by putting the steaks in those cubing machines that punctures them?
Well, here in Colorado (Albertson's), some packaged cube steak says tenderized and some don't have any mention one way or the other, so I really don't know. (Btw, I only use cubed steak for this recipe.) But, if I use the packages that say tenderized, the recipe still comes out okay, it just breaks apart more, like ground beef would. Cut cubed steak in the packages that don't say tenderized tend to stick together more and remain more "steak-like" instead of having a "beefaroni" type consistency.

(Of course, maybe just the quality of beef varies from day to day!)

P.S. I forgot to mention that you need to stir the sour cream and tomato soup into the cube steak and onion mixture, but I bet most of you would have figured that out!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-09-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Well, here in Colorado (Albertson's), some packaged cube steak says tenderized and some don't have any mention one way or the other, so I really don't know. (Btw, I only use cubed steak for this recipe.) But, if I use the packages that say tenderized, the recipe still comes out okay, it just breaks apart more, like ground beef would. Cut cubed steak in the packages that don't say tenderized tend to stick together more and remain more "steak-like" instead of having a "beefaroni" type consistency.

(Of course, maybe just the quality of beef varies from day to day!)
Oooh interesting. Here my husband or I just gives them the steaks we want and asked them to be cubed. I have to look at the packages of the cubed steaks and see if they say tenderized or not. I miss Albertson, we had them in Orlando, Fl when we lived there.

(it was supposed to be cubed for stew but whatever. lol)

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,190,926 times
Have "steak" and eggs

Stick them under the broiler while you're frying some eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or