Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Why buy something produced by someone else instead of doing your own, which per serving is likely cheaper, and more likely to be fresh and good, and free of preservatives and awful things like HFCS?
The OP asked for sauces that can be purchased at the supermarket. A lot of folks don't have the time to fix a curry dish from scratch, but they want something with that "authentic" flavor. I used packaged curry sauces and concentrated seasoning blends before I learned how to cook the dishes from scratch - some of them turned out to be quite tasty.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 04-04-2015 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Why buy something produced by someone else instead of doing your own, which per serving is likely cheaper, and more likely to be fresh and good, and free of preservatives and awful things like HFCS?
I love to cook from scratch but not everyone has the inclination or time...even if its just ocassionsally.

There is nothing wrong with asking what is the best store option....and not all premade items have hfcs....that is why one reads labels.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:53 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
I cook my curry from scratch and with all the roasting and grinding of spices and all the separate browning of different ingredients and layering of flavors, it can take quite a bit of time. While I enjoy doing it and I enjoy eating it, if I worked a full time job, I wouldn't ever be eating curry because I wouldn't have time to make it.

There are several different curry seasoning mixes that are quite good. There is no shame in using a good curry seasoning. It's all the same spices, just someone else is grinding, roasting, and making the curry paste for you.

(Also, there is no "cheaper" version. Curry uses a lot of spices and spices cost money and the price of spices keeps going up and up.)

Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
Just to add, indian curry packet or bottles would be great. And yeah I am a guy and have a busy life and no women to cook for me, so don't have time to make my own sauces with my meals.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM

is this something you were referring to for S&B:

S&B Golden Curry Hot Sauce Mix, 3.5 oz, (Pack of 12) - Walmart.com

i will also look for Taste of Thai. what markets can they be found in? Anyone tried any other sauces found in Trader Joe's?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
is this something you were referring to for S&B:

S&B Golden Curry Hot Sauce Mix, 3.5 oz, (Pack of 12) - Walmart.com

i will also look for Taste of Thai. what markets can they be found in? Anyone tried any other sauces found in Trader Joe's?
Trader Joe's masala sauce is good, but a bit pricey. The others, umm, no.

Thai style Green and red curry are best made from bottled pastes. Mix with water or coconut milk, broth, as directed on the bottle. Available at Asian grocers and Amazon. MANY restaurants that have just a handful of Thai curries use these pastes for their sauces. One trick to remember with premade Asian sauces: Adding a squirt of lime juice at the end makes them taste 'fresh'.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:49 PM

btw how spicy is golden curry and s&B? i dont like super spicy.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Quote:
btw how spicy is golden curry and s&B? i dont like super spicy.
You can get in mild, medium and hot...and even the hot is not really hot......

Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM

905 posts, read 1,101,873 times
I haven't tried the pre-made curry sauces sold in jars before. If we're talking Thai curries, they're quite easy to make from scratch, provided you're using a pre-made curry paste. The only other ingredients you will need are a coconut milk/water, and whatever meats/veggies you want to add!

If you're near any Asian markets, look for Mae Ploy or Maseri brand curry pastes, and Aroy-D/Chaokoh/Royal Blossom brands of coconut milk. Taste of Thai brand stuff will be easier to find in a regular supermarket, if you don't have any Asian markets nearby (or don't want to order online/have stuff shipped to you), but in my experience, will cost more.

I haven't tried to make any of my own Indian curries yet, so I don't have as much knowledge to help you with there, but hopefully this helps w/Thai curries!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
Sorry for the long title, but as it states I need some ideas. I have tried the red curry at trader joe's and didnt like it. I like the yellow curry they carry. I need some more sauce suggestions and what to use it with. Yellow curry with poultry seems to taste better but garlic and poultry doesn't. I need some ideas. On what brands to get and who carrys them. Thanks
Pataks brands are readily available in my local Indian and Americans stores. Check out the ingredients to be sure they aren't too hot for you.

Enjoy!

Patak's | Indian recipes and videos, cooking sauces, curry pastes and chutneys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes